Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Gaurdian beetle entrance side issue  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
The Gaurdian beetle entrance side issue
« on: September 22, 2020, 08:56:46 am »
I have a Gaurdian beetle entrance on one of my hives. It seems to be working well at keeping out beetles, but there is an unintended side problem. The holes in the landing entrance that are meant to confuse the beetles also confuse the bees sometimes. The bees go under the landing pad and come up through one of the holes to the entrance slot.... which scrapes their pollen load off their legs.
I could not understand why I was finding pollen pellets on the ground under the hive entrance. I thought there was a hygiene problem going on, but it is the beetle entrance acting like a pollen trap and knocking off their loads before they enter.
Not all of them. Just some.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: The Gaurdian beetle entrance side issue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:38:21 pm »
Bob,
Unless it is knocking all of the pollen coming in, I would not worry about it, especially it is only a few pollen pieces. My bees loose a lot of pollen just walking across my screen bottom boards.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: The Gaurdian beetle entrance side issue
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 10:27:48 pm »
Thanks, Jim. Most of the bees go straight in. I got my first taste of pollen as a result of this. Slightly sweet.