Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive beetles  (Read 9250 times)

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hive beetles
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2018, 09:01:35 pm »
I use cheap 11 x 17 cookie sheet pans.  I buy them on sale for under $5 each.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2018, 01:07:16 am »
@ paus and Jim   For that matter anyone else who would like to add their reply and input.  In the previous reply, number 60, cao told and showed how he set up his sbb along with the size of the pan he uses. By the way (good looking job cao).  Now my question to you two, Jim since you make your own pans, do you make them wall to wall and end to end? Or is yours placed kind of like cao's?  Paus you are using the casserole type aluminum pans. What size are you using? I am assuming yours are not wall to wall and end to end because you are talking about moving your pans to the later part of the entrance for the sake of preserving pollen? Both of you are having success with your pans. I am just interested in the diversity of different designs. Thanks for your input.  Sincerely, Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:55:10 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2018, 07:46:03 am »
Phil,
My pans fit side to side with very little space to slide. The back of the pan is screwed to a board that exactly closes up the back entrance. The board has a knob on it for putting it out. The front is shorter than the slot the tray fits into but is big enough to catch anything that drops out of the hive. The opening is under the landing board.
Jim
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:07:07 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2018, 01:25:29 pm »
Here is my bottom board that I ended up going with. It very similar to many that I have seen.. However I could never find any that spelled it out like this.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2018, 03:11:35 pm »
That is almost identical to my design. No, I have not seen this one before. 😃
It does not show the tray. My trays are screwed to a board that fits into the back opening. I put a screen directly below the tray.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2018, 03:39:07 pm »
LoL.. I just let the first coat dry on this one. For the back i just used a pine 1x4 and then used a drywall screw (which will be replaced with a thumb screw) and then used gorilla tape for hinges.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 04:53:31 pm by rockink »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2018, 10:23:58 am »
When does the hive beetle (season) tapper off or does it?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2018, 06:00:32 pm »
So I have DSBB on 3 of my hives now.. Needless to say the girls didn't care for me switching their bottom board. :)

My question is do I need to be concerned about seeing pollen in the bottom boards?

If so what are some ideas to address that? I have thought of a few just want to see if there were others.

Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2018, 07:57:47 pm »
Rocklink,
The bees are constantly dropping pollen. You can reduce the drop by adding top entrance.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2018, 09:33:07 pm »
Thanks Jim. I have already done that with 1 hive and they very rarely use the bottom entrance now. So when I add the top entrance is it okay to reduce the lower entrance more?

I've also contemplated just screening the bottom entrance all together.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2018, 11:44:17 pm »
Rockink I like a reduced bottom entrance for bees to remove trash and dead bees and easy to guard.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:50 pm »
Good point! I forgot about the house keeping. Speaking of that I was in one hive today and I had 1 bee making a fuss and I realized he was riding the back of another bee and then I noticed he was trying to git rid of that bee since it had a messed up wing. I have seen them carry off dead bees but never a live one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2018, 07:46:25 am »
Rocklink,
I use both top and bottom entrances. Both are reduced. Michael Bush uses just top entrances. You can do either.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2018, 10:35:13 am »
Why is it that you over look the most obvious?  Top entrance is easier than rebuilding the DSBB, to save pollen I am going to try a top entrance and close the bottom to a minimum.  Top entrances usually have no landing board, I always thought that was an added luxury for the bees but my only Top Bar only has holes for the bees to target upon return and they do this very well.  Todays philosophy " Don't just have a thought, THINK".  Good idea Jim.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2018, 10:40:40 am »
LoL.. your right paus! I just stood there and watched my hive with the top entrance. They nail the landing every time. They don't need no landing board!

My biggest problem is over thinking everything. Sometimes just keeping it simple is okay!

anything