Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: weak hive  (Read 1439 times)

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
weak hive
« on: September 07, 2018, 09:04:08 pm »
Hi,

I have five hives in Ma, and one is low on bees, stores  going into the fall.  Besides feeding, would I be better off giving frames of capped brood from my good colonies, or  should I reverse positions with a good hive that is next to the weak colony.

If reversing positions with hives, wouldn't the bees fight with the bees now coming into their hive?

Thanks,
Tazz

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
Re: weak hive
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:21 pm »
Give 1 frame of brood with nurse bees. Repeat in 10 days.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
weak hive
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 04:01:52 pm »
Swapping positions can be risky in the fall.  If there is no flow then there is a high likelihood there will be a lot of fighting.  If there is still a good flow on in your area then go ahead and swap them. 

Foreign bees coming in empty get thoroughly checked out and evicted.  If the hives have been swapped that foreign bee thinks she is actually coming back to her own hive.  Upon meeting resistance at the entrance instead of flying away she persists to get in.  Fight to the death ensues.

By contrast a foreign bee coming in hot and heavy fully loaded is briefly checked out at the door and welcomed in to unload. 

So what all this means is if there is no flow, a fall dearth, then boost by giving a frame of capped brood.   If weather is really nice and there is a strong flow on, then go ahead and swap them positions.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:58:04 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:05:09 pm »
Ed: Considering that Tazz is in MA, how long would you continue this process before you decided to pull the queen and combine w/ a strong hive? Nov 1?

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 10:11:23 am »
Ed: Considering that Tazz is in MA, how long would you continue this process before you decided to pull the queen and combine w/ a strong hive? Nov 1? .............I do not like taking to much resources from strong hives late in season. Capped brood is a lot.  Uncapped brood or eggs is less. Preferably the brood could be donated from different hives. Another option along with frames of brood  is put clean empty drawn comb in middle of brood of strongest hive and remove in 3 days and give the eggs to weak hive.    The weak hive should build strength with a couple frames of brood and a few eggs.   If not satisfied with results the queen in weak hive is suspect. Good time to combine probably with the next weakest hive.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 02:44:50 am »
Since winter is approaching fast, I would not weaken the strong hives.  They needed the bees to overwinter in.  If you can, sell this queen and
combine the hive resources to the stronger hives.