Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Marketing: Creamed Honey VS Spun Honey VS Whipped Honey  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
    • Sweet as can BEE Honey Farm
Marketing: Creamed Honey VS Spun Honey VS Whipped Honey
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:11:19 am »
I have been selling creamed honey now for about 5 years or so. We called it creamed honey but I was doing a lot of driving this weekend and thought about some things.

See, some people think creamed honey is made with cream. Of course, this is from people who need a little more educated but some people see the word creamed and think cream and then think negavitvely about it. So I thought about the other two markering terms for creamed honey which is spun hone yand whipped honey.

To me, spun honey might be a better term for this. Spun honey has a nice sound to it.

Whipped honey, to me, might not be precieved as a value item. A consumer might think that they can whip honey themselves and save a couple of bucks.

I love marketing and I find it interesting to watch people.

Any thoughts on this?
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Marketing: Creamed Honey VS Spun Honey VS Whipped Honey
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:58 pm »
It has also been called "candied" honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
    • Sweet as can BEE Honey Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:39:51 am »
I would think more people would have an opinion on this other then myself and Mr. Bush.

After all, most of us sell honey!!!!

Come on guys!!!!! :)
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:32:51 pm »
Chef Isaac  I like the name Spun honey  better than  whipped honey

Johnny

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:27:00 pm »
I thought spun honey was a term copyrighted by Sue Bee???
John 3:16

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:50:36 pm »
mine is "naturally creamed" and so people ask what that means.  i don't use commercial starter.  i had some honey develop very fine crystals and i saved it as starter.  i have been using it 3 years.

people like the idea of 'natural'.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:27:43 pm »
My problem is that all of them are not clear what it is.  Creamed could be considered to have cream.  Spun indicates it was whipped or somehow processed physically to make it like it is.  Whipped also indicates this.  And of course it is neither spun nor whipped any more than it is "creamed".  It's certainly not "creamed" in the sense of "creamed" corn.  Candied seems to be the most accurate but still could be misconstrued to mean you were doing something to turn it into candy, when in fact, you are merely letting it crystallize with perhaps some help in the form of seed or temperature but otherwise you're not processing it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »
How about Honey Butter , it's honey and spreads like butter .
Put it on hot bread it turns to honey . :-D

Offline naurot

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:56 pm »

I volunteer at the State Fair every year, and continually have to explain that there isn't any dairy products in the creamed honey. So honey butter would really confuse the issue (especially since there are recipes to make honey butter). I prefer finely crystallized honey or finely granulated honey, though it doesn't really roll off the tongue and takes up a lot of space on a label.
Marking queen cells is gay!

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 01:56:08 pm »

I volunteer at the State Fair every year, and continually have to explain that there isn't any dairy products in the creamed honey. So honey butter would really confuse the issue (especially since there are recipes to make honey butter).

This is particularly true in areas where "honey butter" is an actual butter-based product with added honey.

Probably the best way to go about it is to use whichever terminology you prefer, but also in big letters prominent on your label use the words: "finely granulated" or "finely crystallized". However, both of these phrases suggest that it is dry when, in fact, it is remarkably wet.

You might try "spreadable, pre-granulated". Most people are familiar with the way honey granulates over time. By using the word spreadable, you're telling them that granulation is fine and this product is usable without having to "melt" it.
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

anything