Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught a swarm in a large swarm trap.  (Read 999 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Caught a swarm in a large swarm trap.
« on: March 27, 2023, 01:06:30 am »
Three days ago, while still feeding my bees, I set up a large swarm trap in the barn. It was just a few feet away from the feed. I put one full deep box with old drawn foundation and  below that I put 1 medium and one deep empty boxes. The bees started checking it out within hours. Yesterday we stopped feeding because I was no longer just feeding my bees, bees started coming from the opposite direction from mine. Today I went out to the barn and there were lots of bees coming and going from the trap. O opened the screen top and it is full of bees. I wanted to move the top deep to a new base because but suspected there may bee bees hang down below the top box. Initially I just lifted the top box with my hive tool. I could see there was bees under it. Then on a bunch I of set the empty box below it and looked under it. There is a large cluster, the size of a football, below the top box frames. I just put a strap around the whole hive and plan on. Moving it tomorrow. By then I will probably have lots of cross cut comb in there and will have to do a cutout.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Caught a swarm in a large swarm trap.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 01:08:41 am »
Here is a picture of the new hive.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 01:43:36 am »
Good catch even if you do have to do some cut out work
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 08:04:27 am »
Here is a picture of the new hive.
You couldn't just take off the top two boxes and put the frames in the bottom deep?  Then move a day later.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 08:10:32 am »
Thats a good one Jim. I also had one show up last week. Last sat. I waxed plastic foundations and had them in boxes stacked to move. When I went to move them there was a hole chewed in between the 2 bottom ones and had about 4 frames of bees in them. Needless to say I kept those ones.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 09:07:09 am »
Ace,
I wanted to do that but I would have to handle a deep full of bees and bee able to scrape off a full swarm from underneath it with no help. Not sure easy.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 03:53:27 am »
This swarm is one of the hardest working hives that I have had in a while. It looks like I?m using I for a feeder hive. I added another drawn medium box on top of it. I have decided to keep this t in my barn for now. I?m betting that this hive is going to make a lot of honey this year.
Here is a picture of it today. Hard to see all of it he bees coming and going but it is almost the same as the bees going to the feeder last week. The flow is on.

Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:43:13 am by BeeMaster2 »
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 08:15:37 am »
Your feeding and the flow is on?  Don't want any of that honey.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 09:44:59 am »
I stopped feeding them before this swarm moved in. The flow just started.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 12:49:29 pm »
Good Job Jim!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 01:49:04 pm »
Just saw/heard a Holly tree in full bloom.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin