Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining hives  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Combining hives
« on: April 11, 2023, 09:38:24 pm »
What happens if I combine three queenless hives?
I am removing the queens from a hive and two nucs, and combining them to make a large production hive. I do paper combines, and shift brood frames as needed, but I thought I read here once, that if bees from three or more hives are combined, that they don't tend to fight

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Combining hives
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 10:49:24 pm »
Bob Im not sure this is what you are looking for but I will place it for you consideration. Michael Bush posted this about 5 years ago..

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51385.msg454288#msg454288
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 10:54:19 pm »
Bob,
Make them queen less for a few hours before putting them together. I have never read that three or more makes it easy to combine. I would put her in a cage, not a queen catcher so that you can test to see if they have accepted her before adding her to the new combined hive. Making it queen less will help acceptance. Make sure there are no queen cells in any of the frames.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 06:44:47 am »
Anything over two helps a lot in keeping fighting down.  Of course queenless also helps.  Weak also helps.  The more confusion the better as far as fighting.  Smoking heavily helps a lot.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 09:38:18 am »
How do you do newspaper combines in a long hive?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 02:02:25 pm »
Anything over two helps a lot in keeping fighting down. 

Seems logical. Know it is true with some other animals such as llamas. Almost impossible to keep two intact males together but three or more will form a stable 'bachelor herd' with minimal fighting.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 02:13:53 pm »
I've done a newspaper combine in a long hive by putting newspaper onto a frame and leaving it big enough to touch the sides.  Staple it to the frame.  It will slow them down.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 08:24:38 pm »
I find that a sheet of wet newspaper forms a nice, tight barrier, folded over a frame and draped down into the hive.
Last time I used an opened, wet, brown paper bag. They completely shredded it in two days.

anything