MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

For the Science Minded!

(1/2) > >>

Ben Framed:
https://youtube.com/shorts/aTmWUBzntOE?feature=share

The15thMember:
Interesting!  So this is showing the creation of what's called a supercritical fluid.  When pushed to a pressure and temperature beyond its normal boundaries, substances will display properties of both liquids and gasses simultaneously, and often the substance will have properties very different from its normal in-phase states.  For example supercritical water is a bad solvent.  Supercritical liquids are used in manufacturing processes including decaffeination of coffee and certain dyeing processes.  They are also found in nature in the atmospheres of gas giant planets and Venus.   

Ben Framed:

--- Quote --- pressure and temperature beyond its normal , substances will display properties of both liquids and gasses simultaneously, and often the substance will have properties very different from its normal in-phase states.
--- End quote ---

Exactly! In this case we had the pleasure of 'three' observed forms. Starting off with Dry Ice, Co2, in extreme below freezing temperatures will give us the frozen (dry ice) state. Then, when heated in a pressure container, to a certain temperature, the state of the substance changes to a liquid form. Moving forward, heated to a higher heat, in the same pressure chamber, gives us both liquids and gasses simultaneously. Of course when re-chilled, in the same pressure chamber without relief, the substance will once again display a liquid form which looks like water!  At least that is my take from the experiment?

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on June 09, 2022, 10:52:21 pm ---Exactly! In this case we had the pleasure of 'three' observed forms. Starting off with Dry Ice, Co2, in extreme below freezing temperatures will give us the frozen (dry ice) state. Then, when heated in a pressure container, to a certain temperature, the state of the substance changes to a liquid form. Moving forward, heated to a higher heat, in the same pressure chamber, gives us both liquids and gasses simultaneously. Of course when re-chilled, in the same pressure chamber without relief, the substance will once again display a liquid form which looks like water! At least that is my take from the experiment?

Phillip

--- End quote ---
That's what I got out of it.  It's simple, but it's one of those things that you don't have the opportunity to see often in your day to day life.  Really incredible!

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---That's what I got out of it.  It's simple, but it's one of those things that you don't have the opportunity to see often in your day to day life.  Really incredible!
--- End quote ---

I agree.  :grin:

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version