Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MINNEAPOLIS MOLINE TRACTORS  (Read 10885 times)

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
MINNEAPOLIS MOLINE TRACTORS
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:15:14 am »
Anyone else on the forum into old tractors especially Molines
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: MINNEAPOLIS MOLINE TRACTORS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:01:36 pm »
My first tractor, 7 years ago, was a 1953 Ferguson, Not Massey Ferguson. What was amazing was it was still operational. I did have to rebuild the 3 point hydraulics and rebuild the timing. But it still worked even after my son-in-law flipped it over backwards and almost killed himself. I sold it to a neighbor this year for less than the value of the scrap metal and he blew a rod in less than a month. Acted like it was my fault.  :?
I also have a 1955 Ford 2000 still fully operational.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:19:20 pm »
I'm not sure how good of a tractor the Moline was,  but it sure is beautiful to look at.  Occasionally, they will pop up at the county fairs around here and I alway have to go a drool.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 01:28:36 pm »
4 Ford 8n  1947--1952

2 Ford 601 1957--1959

1 ford 871  1959

1 Ford 3000 diesel  1975

Naw, I'm not into tractors, but they sure are into me. My pocket book, anyway.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 01:45:48 pm »
2 moline RTI's 1947 and 1951
1 Moline RTU 1944
1 Moline ZTU 1944
1 Moline GTB 1951

Wish my wife was as partial to molines as I am. I would own more :laugh:
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »
2 moline RTI's 1947 and 1951
1 Moline RTU 1944
1 Moline ZTU 1944
1 Moline GTB 1951

Wish my wife was as partial to molines as I am. I would own more :laugh:

Wow, would love to see some pictures
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:17:43 pm »
1956 IH Farmall Super C - quick release. I still use it to work my garden and pull stuff.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:53:46 pm »
4 Ford 8n  1947--1952
OK, I guess I have to ask. :-D  What do you do with FOUR 8ns?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:47 pm »
Oh, lots and lots. This year, with 9 tractors, I raised 4 tomato plants.   :lau:

I like fixing them up and selling them. Being a mechanic all my life, it's something to do during retirement.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:20:18 pm »
Maybe you should convert one of those 8ns over to electric and plow VP Gore’s fields  :) 

Are they all still 6volt ignition?  Thinking of converting mine to 12volts.  The 6volts haven't failed me yet, but I always worry when I listen to it turning over.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »
Three are converted. One is still 6 volts. You can buy the complete 12volt conversion kit on ebay for about 90 bucks plus shipping. Just remember, 6 volt is positive ground. 12 volt will be negative ground.

You might also consider using an 8 volt battery on the 6 volt system. It works, and turns the starter much better.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:12:29 am »
The Molines are good looking tractors, but I don't think they were very popular down here. I've only seen a few and none recently. John Deeres, Fords and Farmalls were all very common. I've got my eyes on a 50 something Farmall that I'm trying to talk the owner out of. It's been sitting long enough for a tree to grow up through it, but he still wants to hold on to it. However, he did see an airboat at my house a while back that he took a liking to. I think I may be able to work up a trade.
If anyone's interested, Mule Day is Nov. 2 in Calgary, Ga. There'll be a lot of old tractors, popping johm motors and other antique iron on display. Last year a guy had four antique ice cream churns being ran by a popping john. It was pretty interesting. The mile show is always hilarious.
Google Mule Day, Calgary, Ga for the scoop.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 10:14:30 pm »
It seems to me that in different parts of the country certain tractors are more common. I've always been told that the mid west has a ton of tractors fairly cheap. But then there's the transport cost.

RC; "popping john" is that what they used to call a "hit and miss" engine? I know I'll explain this wrong but it's an engine that has a big wheel/pully?. The engine won't fire the spark plug until the wheel slows down. I think it hits every 3 or 5 turns. Pretty neat.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 08:22:07 am »
That's right, a popping john is hit and miss engine. The plug only fires every few revolutions and the large flywheel keeps it turning. Some of them can run all day on a quart of kerosene. They are a blast to listen to.
I've been on the look out for one for years to refurbish. I'm going to power a honey extractor with it.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 01:54:01 pm »
I have a 1957 super U that I desperately need to haul from my dads homeplace and try to save.  It would start and run right now I am sure but the cost of the rubber scares me and there is a lot of deep rust.  It would still pull a ten foot chisel plow all day I am betting.  I swathed thousands of acres of grain in the sixties with this tractor pulling an 18 foot versatile swather. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 06:52:39 am »
RC;

I have a friend who "used" to have 3 or 4 of them. I don't see him a lot because he's all over Alabama & Tennessee. As a matter of fact he bought some up around Townsend, Tn a couple of years ago. If you'd like next time I see him I'll ask him if he wants to get rid of them.

Vance;

I saw a show on RFDTV about some of the mid west steam powered tractors. I couldn't believe how big the plows were that they pulled!

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:10 am »
GSF, I would appreciate that. I see the "old days" going away pretty quickly, and I like to keep things around to remind me and educate my kids and future grandkids of the way things used to be.
I suppose that our grandchildren will be doing the same thing years from now with antique Ipads and things like that. That is, if the  Almighty Government at that time allows people to actually own personal property.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 11:41:20 am »
Heres the Molines I like to keep them in there work clothes. However the Red RTI is an old state highway tractor. Its going to get a restoration as is the 47 RTI Its tore down now

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 11:25:24 am »
RC;

I have a friend who "used" to have 3 or 4 of them. I don't see him a lot because he's all over Alabama & Tennessee. As a matter of fact he bought some up around Townsend, Tn a couple of years ago. If you'd like next time I see him I'll ask him if he wants to get rid of them.

Vance;

I saw a show on RFDTV about some of the mid west steam powered tractors. I couldn't believe how big the plows were that they pulled!

In the Red river valley of North Dakota were what were called bonanza farms.  Huge acreages for the time and the steam tractors and tillage equipment were of amazing size.  Those chernozim soils are the richest in the world.  I put myself thru college building interstate highway on heavy equipment and that black soil goes down twenty feet in places.  It was the bottom of glacial lake Aggasiz (sp)  Best potatoes you can get are out of that dirt.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 02:21:42 pm »
heh, we just sold our ZB, I really liked it, but needed the money for the other projects.. mostly B John deere's..   Favorite sound has to be a 620 coming up over the hill dragging a plow.. of course it has to have a straight pipe on it..  :evil:
  We had a 1942 TE Ferguson out in the field..  (TE made in England, TO meant made overseas) My step grandfather parked it in 1971 because it kept skipping timing with a worn dist/cam gear...   We were cleaning the hill, and it was going to be hauled to the scrap yard... On a whim I decided to see how bad it was...    This was three years ago, so that Fergy sat in the field for 40 years... I towed it to the shop.. and of course.. it was stuck... marvel, and a concoction of penetrating oils and diesel fuel were poured into the cylinders and let set overnight..  put a bar on it the next morning and almost killed myself when it freed up.. 20 minutes later it was sitting there idling happily.. rev it up and it jumped the gear...
   I put a new cam in it, and replaced the lift cylinder and rings, put new REAR tires on it, and I have been using it to mow with ever since...   The MM ZB we had... the guy that was interested in it offered to pay a lot more if we could get it running..   I have honestly NO idea how long it sat in the back corner of the barn... at least 30 years,, but was NOT stuck... I put fuel in it, put a battery in it.. sent dad to get the battery charger knowing it was going to take some cranking...  rolled it over just for the hell of it... it didnt roll three times before it fired and ran...    Drove it out of the barn on rotted off tires to the amazement of the fellow who wanted to buy it.
   Have AC's.. wd and wc's, MOST years of JD B's. A couple 620's and an LP 630, and L and an A john deere,, oh, also have a 670 Mini Mo we use with the bush hog.   LOVE the older tractors, but its the 620 that I could sit and listen to all day long.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

anything