Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need a method, your idea to provide salt to bees?  (Read 3508 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: I need a method, your idea to provide salt to bees?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 09:15:47 am »
So to answer your question Mr Van. I do not know a better method than AR has given.

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
I need a method, your idea to provide salt to bees?
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 12:43:30 pm »
So is it the Na they are after or is it the Cl ?  ( Salt is NaCl ).  The q comes from stories of bees liking swimming pool water, and the absence of Cl in the reference above.  It may be they are not wanting salt, just the Cl component of it?
Anyone done and analysis of a fresh steaming cow patty?  How much Cl is in a patty?
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 12:55:58 pm »
Very good question Mr. HP. All I know is the study showed they need table salt. Which chemical breakdown of that sort I do not know. I guess it all boils down to choices. Does one prefer Cow Patty Honey or table salt honey? LOL just kidding !  I could not resist :-)  so far I am doing as you !  :shocked: :cheesy: :grin:

PA Please do not tell my Mother!!? I fear she may not eat honey again!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 06:35:33 pm »
Another random thought.  Some of the foul water and other stagnent sources mentioned would contain concentrations of sulphur.  Maybe it is actually sulphur they are after?

As Winnie the Pooh says .....

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 06:51:43 pm »
I have no knowledge of all the trace elements bees need except for what Phil posted.  So my idea was to provide the Himalayan salt with has all the trace elements and let the bees decide.  After all the post, I purchased a 2 inch by 8 inch by 4 inch salt brick, $13 that hopefully the coon can?t drag off.  I will place on a hollow stump close to the hives.  This stump collects algae as Bob stated bees like algae, and also the bees seem to like the turbid water.

No cattle close to my apiary, would not matter, the bees in the USA are clean lil buggers, they even wash their hands.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 06:59:18 pm »
We have always used a variety of blocks for the livestock. There was the white blocks, the dark brown blocks but the  sulphur are yellow.  I do not know Mr HP, another good question. I will send a PM to you and Mr Van.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:55 pm »
So when bees go to pools are they after salt? 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 12:18:38 am »
So when bees go to pools are they after salt?

Honestly Nock, I do not know. My personal experience with salt started with JtcMedic helping me with a question I had when I first began beekeeping a couple years ago. I ask that question here then, what would help promote the building of comb for my bees as I explained in an earlier post here. I am learning as we go. What sparked my interest once again about salt was when Mr Van posted the trivia question about what three requirements are needed for bees to build wax, (on another topic). Mr Van posted the salt question here and here we are. This has so far been interesting along with entertaining from my point of view. We might have gotten a little off topic but Iddee and AR and someone else took a shot at directly answering Mr Vans question.

Quoting Mr Van
No cattle close to my apiary, would not matter, the bees in the USA are clean lil buggers, they even wash their hands. 

HAA HAA Love it! Learning and entertainment as we go along or beekeeping merry way!! lol

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:39:20 am by Ben Framed »