Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CD-ROM question  (Read 2704 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
CD-ROM question
« on: November 12, 2009, 03:02:39 pm »
     I have an E-machine 3502 and it has a slot marked both "DVD ROM" and "compact disc rewriteable" but haven't used it because of the extreme difficulty I always experience.  (with enough experimentation I can usually succeed on my other computer)

Ok, I have a Sony disc marked "CD-RW" which fits in the slot, and I can click on the picture that looks most like a "CD" to me, and it tells me the disc is full, to either make room on it or replace it. I try another new one, same thing.  Any advice? (I am trying to copy a 325 page manual.)

ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: CD-ROM question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:26:09 pm »
I'd check for an updated driver for you DVD drive.  I'd also be tempted to try another brand disc just to see if it makes a difference.  CD-R and CD-RW troubles can be kind quirky.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
Re: CD-ROM question
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:53:46 am »
I agree, rewritable CDs (CD-RW) don't always work very well.  I have good results with cheap Staples CD-Rs.

CD burning is very resource intensive.   Try doing CD burning after a fresh boot with no other programs running.

I mostly use "thumb drives" for portable data storage.  They are faster and easier then CDs.
I carry a couple of then with me all the time. 
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

anything