Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Update Report  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Feeding Update Report
« on: September 29, 2007, 12:53:28 am »
I took my daughter out to look at the bees this afternoon.  She is learning fast.  I wanted to find out how well the feeding has done.  I usually don't use gloves of any kind but the 1st hive are MHs so they proved to be a little hot and I got stung 12 times before I decided I should get my gloves.  Got stung once after that--through my shirt on my dunlap.

The MHs had 2 boxes full and drawn and had back filled most of the brood area--they will probably make it.  I explained to my daughter why backfilling is desired in the fall so that the bees have maximum stores.  The Italians were also backfilling the brood area--there is only 2-3 frames with some brood in them so the queen is already in winter mode.
1 of the Russians was full, having drawn and filled 4 frames in the last few weeks from feeding. The top medium deep nuc is all honey and the lower boxed looked pretty full also but there was a larger brood area than with either the MHs or Italians.  I'm a little concerned about the 2nd Russian hive as it was a split at the same time as the other Russian but it is still drawing comb and still has 3 partial frames to complete and fill.

I think I may have to rob a frame from the Italians and then feed both hives in order to get all 4 hives to a place where I think they'll over winter.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Feeding Update Report
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:46:02 am »
It looks like you got it figured out pretty good Brian good luck
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Feeding Update Report
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:05:30 am »
Brian, excellent, so all that hard work with feeding and tending has paid off, yeah!!!!!  That is so cool that your daughter is excited about helping out her Dad with the interest on beekeeping.  Yeah, have a wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything