Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining LW Hive with Queenright Hive  (Read 6398 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Combining LW Hive with Queenright Hive
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2020, 02:52:29 pm »
Ignore them.  In 2 days they?ll be gone.  Having begged into the other hives.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2020, 03:00:11 pm »
Ignore them.  In 2 days they?ll be gone.  Having begged into the other hives.
Thanks, HP.  Will do. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2020, 07:50:22 am »
This has been very interesting and educational. I want to thank you contributing experts for your patience and non pressured persistence. The best kind of teaching IMHO. Member, this was a great thread. We are very fortunate to have these caliber of beekeepers here that have contributed with selfless helpful information. Your questions and clear answers of their questioners was a big help, in helping me understand more about laying worker hives. Sincere thanks to all.

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2020, 10:53:00 am »
This has been very interesting and educational. I want to thank you contributing experts for your patience and non pressured persistence. The best kind of teaching IMHO. Member, this was a great thread. We are very fortunate to have these caliber of beekeepers here that have contributed with selfless helpful information. Your questions and clear answers of their questioners was a big help, in helping me understand more about laying worker hives. Sincere thanks to all.
Thanks, Phillip, and I whole-heartedly agree.  I wouldn't be anywhere near as knowledgeable and successful in my beekeeping if it weren't for all the help I receive and the things I learn on this forum, both from my own questions and others'.  It's so beneficial for us all to be able to learn from each other.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2020, 07:04:30 pm »
The cluster of bees was still there this morning, so I decided to do as .30WCF suggested and try shaking them off the cinder block.  When I did, I found they had built about a 3 in. by 3 in. comb in the center of the cluster!  :shocked:  The shaken bees are now reclustered on the other cinder block that was making up the hive stand.  What should I do now? 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
Is there a queen in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2020, 08:20:00 pm »
Is there a queen in there?

Well I'm assuming there was a drone laying queen in the hive, but before I shook out the hive I checked and double checked, and I didn't see a queen.  Maybe it's an intercaste female or something.  You'd have to think that something is holding them together like this.     

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2020, 08:25:29 pm »
That?s right. I had forgotten that you shook the whole hive out

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2020, 12:37:26 am »
FYI, clumping of bees does not mean a queen is present.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2020, 01:41:49 am »
FYI, clumping of bees does not mean a queen is present.
But does comb building? 

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2020, 12:08:16 am »
Normally, yes.  However LW believe they have a queen;  so same-same. 

There is a misconception that a LW does not fly and are left behind at the shake out spot.  I assure you they fly just as well as any other bee. This is why the method requires complete removal of the hive equipment when doing it so they have no place to go, no shelter, but into other nearby hives.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »
3rd time was the charm.  I shook them off the cinder block again today and removed both cinder blocks from the site, and now they are no where to be found.  Thanks again, everyone.   

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2020, 03:31:43 pm »
>Most likely there are 200-300 or in the thousands, we just don?t know.

"More than half of the bees in laying worker colonies have developed ovaries (Sakagami 1954)..."-- Reproduction by worker honey bees (Apis mellifer L.) R.E. Page Jr and E.H. Erickson Jr. - Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology August 1988, Volume 23, Issue 2, pp 117-126

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00299895

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything