Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: freezing comb for long periods  (Read 1488 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
freezing comb for long periods
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:17:17 pm »
has anyone got any experience freezing empty comb for long periods?  I'm talking about 5 to 6 months.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: freezing comb for long periods
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:18 pm »
I do it all the time for winter when I have frames that did not get capped.   Freeze them for early spring. 

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:34:46 am »
Thanks 10framer for asking the same question I was wondering about.

Along these lines, can I freeze full frames of honey (Freezer is Only place i can think of that varmints can not get into)? Then if need be can be fed back to the hives if they come up short in the spring? Or if they make it fine, then I can pull the honey.

I hope that made sense.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 10:56:05 am »
I have put some capped frames in the freezer in the summer to feed back, if needed during the end of summer dearth.  I gave two hives a couple of frames last week, some still in freezer.  When I can I would prefer to give them honey that sugar/water or corn syrup.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:13:45 pm »
i'm thinking about having a walk in freezer put in to store supers through the winter.  i was wondering if being frozen for months had any affect on the wax in empty combs.  sounds like it probably won't.  carol, that's pretty much the plan.  kills of any pests without having to use chemicals.  freezing honey for later extraction or feeding back is just kind of a bonus.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 04:05:57 pm »
I had a few empty frames in the freezer to keep the pest off of them... Took one out the other day to let thaw out to replace an old frame in one of my hives... It tipped over and shattered like glass.... :( guess once its thawed it won't be as brittle...
Marshall