Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Rose Hive  (Read 2649 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
The Rose Hive
« on: July 17, 2020, 12:03:01 pm »
I am picking up from the subject started by Bob Wilson."Follow Boards"

Bob, Ace, What do y'all think of the Rose Hive? I do not think it is any easier to access than the Regular Langstroth hive but may be lighter and easier to manage?  I have heard of the Rose hive and talked to the inventor about other matters. (Tim Rowe).  But I have not investigated this method, (learned the ins and outs of it). I just looked up a video about it, only watched a couple minutes and thought of you Bob.  I and plan on finishing watching it soon. I will post it here if you would like?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: The Rose Hive
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:12:17 pm »
I do not think it is any easier to access than the Regular Langstroth hive but may be lighter and easier to manage? 
lighter?  The boxes are 18+" square by about 7 1/2" tall.  That's somewhere between a 10 frame deep and a ten frame medium.  Probably closer to the deep.  Easier to manage.  That would be how one manages it.  If you only go through the top box then maybe, but if you need to lift any boxes I would need a stronger back. :wink:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 11:30:22 pm »
Hi Cao, I still have not watched the video. In that case what are the advantages of the Rose Hive?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 11:59:47 pm »
I just did a google depth comparison, Rose box is 7.48030 deep:  Langstroth Deep box is 9 5/8 deep : Langstroth medium 6 5/8 deep.

Yep Cao, I got the horse before the cart this time lol.  I do not see the advantage in the USA either. Scrap this topic In my opinion.  :grin:

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 12:28:37 am »
Lol. Ben. Like this scrapped topic, we are always on a quest for more ideas about beekeeping.
In my personal opinion, if a person wants to avoid lifting weight, a 4 foot Long Langstroth is the way to go.
1. 4 feet is the right length. Anything shorter is going to create a cramped colony. Plus 4 feet is the standard size for lumber.
2. Use standard langstroth frames. They don't attach to the sides like top bar hives. I can trade out frames of resources with any other beek or any other of my hives.
3. Use the standard deep (9 5/8 inch) langstroth frame. A four foot long lang holds 32 frames and is equivalent to three deep hive boxes.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 12:43:48 am »
Thanks Bob.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 12:58:45 am »
I think the "advantage" of the rose hive is that it is square.  Maximizes inside volume and minimizes outside surface area.  I have thought about making a square hive, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 03:08:25 pm »
Some of the "Rose Hive" is about the management.  You can experiment with those management methods with eight frame mediums...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything