Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 10 frame double screen board, requeening?  (Read 1546 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

10 frame double screen board, requeening?
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:46:47 pm »
I am trying to find information on the 10 frame double screen board for requeening.  Advertised on Mann Lake.  However the description is lacking in detail and I cannot figure out how it works: "placed between hives"????  Old bees return to original hive, young bees stay with the queen"???? Could any person describe how this screened board works?  Is the screened board placed in a new hive or what?  I checked YouTube and could not find any results.  This is supposedly used for requeening.
Blessings

Online gww

• Super Bee
Re: 10 frame double screen board, requeening?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:04 pm »
See if this helps in using one.
http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/The-Many-Uses-Of-A-Snelgrove-Board-by-Wally-Shaw.pdf

Many other places will come up with a google search.

I made a teronove split and put the nurse bee part of the split on top of the hive I made it from with the double screen board under the nurse be part.  I left it there for a month till I saw that the queen was laying.  I then looked at the stores in the split to see if they could survive a week or two with out foragers and when I was sure it could, I moved the split to its own spot in my yard.  I only used one door on the board and did not move them around to build up the hive under the split because I wanted the rescources to build up in the split for when I moved it.  The hive the split was sitting on did get a boost when I moved the top split to its own spot cause the foragers ended up in the hive at the place they did there orientation flight at. 

The good thing about this is you can share the heat of the hive for the split early in the year and you can make the split with out using an out yard.
Clear as mud, right?
Good luck
gww

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:21:26 pm »
Wow, gww, that's pretty advanced!  Congratulations on using two techniques I'd be intimidated by and succeeding.  You have come a long way, my friend.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:12:18 am »
Dallas
Success is a funny thing.  The hive had made queen cells and had swarming on its mind.  The part I mentioned did give me a hive with a queen but I did not cull the queen cells in the origional hive that was on bottom and it still swarmed two more times but I did catch the swarms and so now that hive is four if they make it through winter.  So it was successful but I did not accomplish what I was trying to do which was to keep one part as big as I could.  I do believe it is a good way to handle a hive that has swarming on its mind and even better if it were caught before they made thier mind up and I do believe I know my mistakes that could have made it come closer to working then it did.  I have four hives from one to try again next year if they live through winter.  It is all good.

My favorite way that I handled a simular situation with a differrent hive was just to move that hive about ten feet sideways and to put a differrent hive body in the old place.  By the time the queen was laying in that hive one medium was drawn by the foragers and full of honey.   The other side did not have after swarms and made honey.  Not a lot of honey but still a harvest.
Thank you though.
gww

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 05:51:56 am »
Hi Van

There is the potential here for some confusion.  The Mann-Lake graphic of their board shows it as being a Snelgrove Board with a divided screen.  So - is this a 'double-screen board' which actually has a single-sided screen ?  That needs checking (imo).

If you search around for info on Snelgrove Boards, you'll find that some have large area screens (such as Mann-Lake's), and some have only a 4"x4" screen in the centre.  But - far more important - is that some Snelgrove Board plans on the Internet are being shown as having a single-sided screen, but some have double-sided screens - and of course there is a world of difference between them.

For the benefit of any beginners who may be reading this, the different lies in the ability of bees to contact each other.  With a double-sided screen, the bees cannot make direct contact with each other (which is a necessary precaution if there are queens on either side of the board), and so they cannot engage in  trophylaxis (the sharing of food and the passing of contact pheromones), although warmth and volatile pheromones will still pass through. Whereas with a single-sided screen, there is almost full contact - it's just that the bees cannot actually mingle together, and thus fight.  That is, until they are allowed to mix, once they have become used to each other's smell.

So - single-sided screens are best when your intention is to combine two colonies, but use double-sided screens if you intend to keep two queen-right colonies apart, but just allow the upper colony to benefit from warmth passing up from below.

Van - you may find the following .pdf (concerned with re-queening without de-queening first) useful:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00288233.1972.10421270

They don't specify what type of division board they used - I suspect either un-screened or one fitted with a queen-excluder (they don't say), as they used newspaper to provide temporary separation - but you may form one or two ideas of your own from reading it.

'best
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com