Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout and hive beetles  (Read 2809 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Cutout and hive beetles
« on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »
When doing a cutout, there is usually a variety of brood, honey, and pollen.  Naturally it is deserible to save as much of each as possible. But with the prospect of saving SBH along with these certainly is not desirable.  My question is, what is the best solutation short of scrapping the comb with the honey, pollen and brood, is there of reducing the numbers of beetles along with the new bees? Will exposing the "newly" cut comb from the cutout in the sunlight, while finishing the rest of the cut out run the beetles away? I realize that melting all wax will at least save the wax but this is not something that I would not prefer to do. And even if i wanted to melt all, there would still be the chance that some of the SHB would escape from the "wax bucket' when the top is removed. Rubber banding the good stuff in frames is much more preferred.  Thanks, Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Cutout and hive beetles
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:12:44 pm »
When doing a cutout you save as much brood as possible.  The honey goes in a seperate bucket to be fed back to the bees later of harvested for your own use.  This bucket can be froze to kill the critters.  If you try and put the honey in the hive you are just asking for trouble. 

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:13:27 pm »
Never having come across SHB on a "cutout" I could not help you
beyond saying here is yet another use for the holstered can of Nitro.
"Blast 'em when you see 'em" applies.
Should bring another facet of fun to the work, I reckon :-))

Bill

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:46:19 pm »
I have done hundreds of cutouts and have never seen more than 2 or 3 beetles in one. Use two buckets for the honey. One for the clean honey you keep for yourself, and one for the not so clean honey to feed back to the bees. Crush and strain yours the same day, and spread the bees honey out in a well lit area for them to clean up quick, or freeze for use later. After honey is removed from wax, by you and the bees, melt the wax.

DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL HONEY COMB IN THE HIVE FOR THE BEES. YOU WILL DROWN THEM AND ATTRACT PESTS.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:41:57 pm »

Bill

Haa Haa  :grin: Between you and Van, I am convienced!!  Sounds like fun!! Thanks for the reply Bill.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:04 pm »
I have done hundreds of cutouts and have never seen more than 2 or 3 beetles in one. Use two buckets for the honey. One for the clean honey you keep for yourself, and one for the not so clean honey to feed back to the bees. Crush and strain yours the same day, and spread the bees honey out in a well lit area for them to clean up quick, or freeze for use later. After honey is removed from wax, by you and the bees, melt the wax.

DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL HONEY COMB IN THE HIVE FOR THE BEES. YOU WILL DROWN THEM AND ATTRACT PESTS.

Thanks iddee Good infromation here.. Appreicated!!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:44:10 pm »
When doing a cutout you save as much brood as possible.  The honey goes in a seperate bucket to be fed back to the bees later of harvested for your own use.  This bucket can be froze to kill the critters.  If you try and put the honey in the hive you are just asking for trouble.

Freezing the bucket is a good idea also. Thanks cao!!

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 06:12:05 pm »

Bill
So where can I buy a can of this Nitro Bill?

anything