Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split in trouble  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
Split in trouble
« on: January 21, 2017, 11:45:48 pm »
Hi everyone i did a split just before Christmas and checked a few days later to see if she was free which she was and i checked for new eggs and im so sure i saw some so i left them to do their thing. But on inspection today there was no eggs, larva or capped brood. I saw the queen and the hive is still weak in numbers. Its dry in sydney and the last couple of weeks we have had a lot of 40 degree days 2 actually hit the 45 degree mark. Could these hot days be the cause of this or is this a problem with the queen? They also had used all honey that i gave them and had next to no pollen.

Im going to start them on sugar surup today and i have also taken 2 frames of brood from another strong hive both with capoed brood, larva and eggs.

Is there anything else i can do to save this hive?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Split in trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:34 am »
I would have expected that ot is getting late to do splits in Sydney or to try and safe one?

I have found in the past that eggs can be killed by extreme heat - more so in a weak hive with not enough bees to keep the space cool.

I think you are doing all you ca.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:26:10 am »
Thanks max,
I will check in a couple of days and see if there is any change. Tomorrow is expected 36 and Tuesday 40 again :/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
I would say desperate need of water and food.  No living thing can live without either.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 05:38:24 am »
Hey Acebird,
They have access to a lot of water with a dam like 100-200 metres away, the other hive have been bringing in plenty of pollen from blackthorn which is in flower. So i didn't think they would be hungry. Both hives now ove r the past 24 hours they havd been given about a litre of sugar syrup each so they should have a lot stored. I will also give them another 500ml on Wednesday evening. When should the queen lay again?

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:20:55 pm »
Assuming it was a queenless split, about 1 month after the split you should be seeing eggs. If there is still good numbers of bees in the hive give it a frame of brood from one of your other hives. It could possibly do with the extra bees, see if they start to raise q cells.
Do they seem queenless? That is are they stirred up, racey,  a little jumpy crazy like. (Hard to explain until you know it).

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:26:16 pm »
The bees seen calm to me and the queen is in the hives.
I did the split with a queen that i ordered so they were never queenless

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:29:35 am »
So no eggs laid by a queen you purchased almost a month ago! Terminate her. !
Then post her back to the place of purchase (joking).
Give them a frame of brood or maybe even two.  Ots on the frames, check again in a week.
Good luck.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 05:59:07 am »
Thanks Anderson, i have given them 2 frames of brood and feeding them everyday

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 12:40:04 pm »
So i took a frame of honey and 2 frames of brood from another hive and fed sugar surup, things turned around really fast and queen started to lay, both hives still going :) checking again tomorrow.
They just needed nectar after all that.