BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Cooling Cabinet

(1/15) > >>

Lesgold:
Hi Folks,

Just doing a bit of research on creamed honey manufacture. It?s pretty hot here at the moment so it?s not ideal to be playing with creamed honey unless there is a cool place to store it. I?m just making a sample batch at the moment to see how it goes. I?m storing it in my camping fridge which has been set to maximum (50 F) That should work OK but it got me thinking. If I were to make a cooling cabinet (similar to my warming cabinet) and use an old fridge or bar fridge,  (depending on the size required) I could control the fridge accurately using a temperature controller.  (STC 1000) The fridge would still cycle on and off but it could be set to any temperature that I want. Anyone tried this or something similar? An old fridge would cost $20 to $50 and the controller about $15 so there is not a lot of money tied up in it. Construction and assembly time would be about 1 1/2 hours. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Les

Acebird:
To my knowledge creamed honey does not dissolve at room temperature.  So why would you need a cooling chamber?

BeeMaster2:
Ace,
You need a cooling chamber to make the honey crystallize.
If creamed honey gets to warm after it is done it can go back to being a liquid.
Jim Altmiller

jimineycricket:
        As a former home brewer, I once used an old secondhand refrigerator as a cooling cabinet to make lager beer,  There is a controller on the market which will take over the controls of the refrigerator.  You may have to wire around the refrigerator's manufacturer's control unit.  I was able to take the whole refrigerator down to freezing temperature. 

Lesgold:
That was my thinking. Plug the fridge into the controller which would turn it on and off according to the temperature that was preset in the STC 1000.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version