ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Beeyard weed control

<< < (2/3) > >>

firetool:
Here is anouther thought. How about using ducks and or geese to keep the weeds down. They would love it. I would just put some 2-3 foot high chicken wire around the grounds and this sould keep them in. the ducks are cheeper to buy. Chickens will do this some and they will eat other bugs to like grasshopers and ticks. I am not saying I know this next thing will work but they might even eat the mites that they can see. They have left my bees alone so far. I has worked out good so far for me.

I would like to know how to start some apple seeds though. I have some gala seeds that I got from some apples that we ate the other day. They are almost dried out now. Do i need to plant them in a seed  starter try where it is warm and moist. I have heard that apple treesa need to be grafted on. If I just plant these seeds I will still get Galas off the tree won't I? Why does evry body do the grafting any more. Don't laugfe to hard at this ,but you never heard of Jonny apple seed doing any grafting to his trees.

Take care,

Brian
P.S.- you could us e the poultry for your own benifets like eges and meat.

Jerrymac:
You mean 2"X 6" don't you?

Jay:

--- Quote from: firetool --- I have heard that apple treesa need to be grafted on. If I just plant these seeds I will still get Galas off the tree won't I? Why does evry body do the grafting any more. Don't laugfe to hard at this ,but you never heard of Jonny apple seed doing any grafting to his trees.

Take care,

Brian

--- End quote ---

Yes you will get Gala apples many, many years from now. Jonny Appleseed (John Chapman born in Leominster, MA out by our own Leominsterbeeman) never saw the apples he sowed from seed. The reason for grafting is to get functioning orchards in our lifetime.

firetool:
What sould I do then. I would like to grow some apple trees. Could I plant the seed and graft on to it latter. Etheir way I would like to know the best way to start these seeds that I have here. I takeit that apple trees just grow very slow.

Brian

Horns Pure Honey:
Trail twister was my insperation on how to design my area, bye :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version