Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm traps  (Read 1431 times)

Offline tincan

• House Bee
swarm traps
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:09:43 am »
can I use ten frame deep for swarm trap and what is all involved in doing this location ,bait,  scent, timing , have a few small creeks around running through farm fields but Im 48 years old and have never seem swarm so maybe not alot of them or just not in right place right time ,do have wild  hives in trees, walls in area.  Im in wisconsin thanks for all your help

Offline cinch123

• New Bee
Re: swarm traps
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:15 am »
Not that I'm a veteran but I will tell you what has worked for me this year... A ten frame deep is a good size for a trap according to Seeley's Honeybee Democracy. I have put out three swarm traps and two of them have been occupied. All three were placed in shaded locations six to ten feet up the sides of trees. They were placed back in April but the most recent swarm set up shop this past Friday, so swarm season isn't over in Ohio and probably not in Wisconsin either. For bait lots of people say lemongrass oil, but both of my successful traps have had a chunk of old nasty brood comb from a cutout in the box. I'm a beginner beekeeper this year - started in April with two packages, and have so far caught three swarms. Swarms are wildly interesting - I just need to keep up with building equipment to house them.

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:52:47 am »
Not a veteran either, but have alot of success catching swarms this year (at least compared to last year). I have caught 8 out of 9 traps set out. To answer your question about 10 frame boxes, yes that will work.  I prefer an old 8 frame box as I have bought some used ones and I run all 10 frame stuff on my hives.  If I use a 10 frame with a standard bottom board I reduce the entrance down to about 2" opening.  I usually put 2-4 old frames that have been very well used.  Pop the foundation out or if it is natural comb, cut just below the top bar and leave about 1/2-3/4" of wax attached to the top bar.  This will maintain the smell in the box. Propolis on the frames is a plus as well.  I put a few drops of LGO on one of those flat cotton pads that are used for cleaning makeup off of a person. That pad is placed in a ziploc bag and sealed.  Poke a tiny hole in the bag with your pocket knife and lay it on top of the top bars.  I agree on the 6 feet up or so and just as important, put it in the shade of the tree.  Hope you have some success with it. 

Offline Keskin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 12:38:10 pm »
All of them are true but I believe the most important thing is queen scent...
If you have, you can use old queen cups. Melt it in water (bain Marié) and than coat with brush to the flying area. It makes difference.
How many times I’ve wonder
and it still comes out the same.
                                              Conway Twitty

No matter how you look at it or think of it
You see it’s life and we just got to play the game.
                                              Sam Moore

For curious people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAA_LUCb0QE&feature=related

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »

Who doesn't love free bees. I also have good luck with swarm traps, especially this year. I think size of the traps makes a difference. A ten frame deep seems to be a perfect size for me. I started making smaller ones but with less luck. I have 5 and have caught 4 swarms. 2 of them were from my hives but its better than climbing trees to  get them back.

good luck, David