Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeper Research Survey  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Squently

• Brood
Beekeeper Research Survey
« on: January 26, 2023, 05:58:35 pm »
I am a 3rd year college student studying product design at the University of Houston, and for my current life centered design project I am researching beekeeping. I would really appreciate y'all filling out my survey. It's not too long, and works on both pc and mobile.

https://universityofhouston.iad1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7UL67Z9ZLvmLUt8

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beekeeper Research Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 06:40:07 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I would love for you to share what you are learning about bees in your studies with our members.
I did answer your survey.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 07:30:38 pm »
Hello Squently, Welcome to Beemaster!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 10:17:28 pm »
G'day Squently, and welcome to beemaster! Great to see young people interested in bees and their keepers
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 11:47:41 am »
Answered survey. Check.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 01:16:24 pm »
I LOVE surveys!  :happy:  I have a comment to make about one of the questions, but I'll wait a while to mention it, since I don't want to influence people's answers.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 01:37:56 pm »
I did too... I hate "yes/no" answers...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 02:22:22 pm »
I did too... I hate "yes/no" answers...
Oh, I don't have that kind of comment--well, actually I do now that you say it.  I wasn't sure whether natural cell comb was considered "small cell" or not for the purposes of the question.  I decided to select yes, because I think the question probably wanted to know if you were using traditional foundation-sized cells, and I'm not, but I don't use small cell foundation either, I use none.  But I have something that I want to discuss as a spin-off of one of the questions that I'm waiting on until people have had more time to respond.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 02:46:04 pm »
As usual a survey conducted to lead you down a particular path. Hive types....don't use any of the choices offered....ho hum.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 03:20:08 pm »
As usual a survey conducted to lead you down a particular path. Hive types....don't use any of the choices offered....ho hum.

It does read that way.  Also feels like a hit and run...ask of help...leave a link and disappear... not to return and answer questions or have the courtesy to tell us more about this.  Approaching two weeks and he's not made an effort to respond.  College students are busy--so are the rest of us.

I may be critical as my background is in education and I was a teacher for many years, but this is a troubling sign of today's work ethic.

I want to help and take the survey, but find it hard to help those who can't help themselves first.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 05:15:19 pm »
Hey, thanks for bumping this, Jurassic.  I almost forgot to make my comment.  Anyone who hasn't taken the survey yet and still wants to, don't read any farther. 

I LOVE, I mean, L-O-V-E LOVE book scorpions/pseudoscorpions/chelifers.  I have seen only two in my lifetime, once on our picnic table, and once my sister found one and brought it to me.  I had NO IDEA they lived in beehives in mutualism symbiosis with honey bees, :shocked: and it makes me EXTREMELY SAD at the thought that treating for mites kills them.  :cry:  Just more motivation to try and work towards keeping bees without treating.  When I did some more looking at the book scorpions after the survey, I found this amazing article.  http://ujubee.com/?p=1104 

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 07:55:20 pm »
Either I misread the question or it was edited after I took the survey. Only remember seeing the word 'chelifers' so answered no. Tend to skim read so could have missed pseudoscorpions.

Anyone know how tolerant of heat they are? Thermal is my only mite treatment.

Edit: Found a partial answer. Regular scorpions can survive up to 117 degrees F and someone in Texas reports finding pseudoscorpions in thermally treated hives. So at least the 105-7 F of a thermal.

Phillip, will try to find time to respond in the other thread...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:55:55 pm by William Bagwell »

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 06:40:41 am »
I have seen pseudoscorpians in my hives, but not often.  The problem is they need detritus to reproduce and most of our hives don't have much of that, though wild colonies do.  So probably the ones I see in my colonies just wandered in from somewhere and did ok, but they don't really have a way to reproduce.  I don't know what heat they can tolorate.  If you search online you can find videos of them eating Varroa mites.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 06:42:32 am »

Thanks William..
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 01:11:11 pm »
Either I misread the question or it was edited after I took the survey. Only remember seeing the word 'chelifers' so answered no. Tend to skim read so could have missed pseudoscorpions.

Anyone know how tolerant of heat they are? Thermal is my only mite treatment.

Edit: Found a partial answer. Regular scorpions can survive up to 117 degrees F and someone in Texas reports finding pseudoscorpions in thermally treated hives. So at least the 105-7 F of a thermal.

That's interesting.  I've been thinking about looking into thermal.  I like the sustainability of it, not having to repeatedly buy a single use product. 

salvo

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 02:52:52 pm »
Hi Folks,

I think that if you're observant, the longer you live, the more you see.

I've seen only a few pseudo scorpions in my hives here in SE Mass. But I did look into them in the 2010 decade. A source was Canada, I think it was connected to Niagara Beeks. They had a source to sell a PS count, in a container, in some sort of medium.

I've bought a lot of bugs, and they come in some sort of medium.

I waited for "Reviews". None came. It was a good idea that, so far, has gone nowhere.

But this:

https://www.roachcrossing.com/for-sale/non-roach/boulder-pseudoscorpion/

Sal

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2023, 10:17:14 pm »
A little late on this. Have never seen a pseudoscorpian but quite often we find brown scorpions on the inside of the lids.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2023, 11:11:59 pm »
Hello from the Great White North, korookookoo.

Filled out the survey.  Hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/OJE3EgTGg9k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 11:13:18 pm »
How ya doing honeypump??

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2023, 11:58:30 pm »
Hello from the Great White North, korookookoo.

Filled out the survey.  Hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/OJE3EgTGg9k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grin: :cheesy: :wink:

anything