Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee delivery question  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
bee delivery question
« on: March 24, 2020, 11:09:47 am »
do we still pick up packaged bees at the post office, or do the post office deliver now?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: bee delivery question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:12:54 am »
Local PO's have different rules. You need to call your PO. Where in NC are you?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:22:55 am »
I did Iddee, and when I FINALLY got through, the person did not know the answer, and according to her, no one else knew.  I will try calling again, I have always picked them up in the past, but that was years ago.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:23:33 am »
Where in NC are you?   Wake County

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:29:25 am »
Seeb, the postmaster at each location will know. Did you talk with the postmaster?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 11:53:31 am »
I just got through again, and I do have to pickup [which I prefer] and it was a good thing I did as there seems to be a routing problem with my package and it may not be shipping to my normal postoffice. At any rate they got my information and are going to check it out further and will call me back. 
Ben - on the call I made [where they didn't know the answer] I just spoke with the person that answered the phone, when she said she didn't know, I asked to ask someone else. She said she did, but they didn't know either - go figure . . .
At any rate looks like I will be picking them up somewhere tomorrow - yay

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 08:30:47 am »
The girls are home safe and sound, and I'll hive them this morning.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 08:39:00 am »
I bet the post office people could tell all kind of crazy stories about what strange things get packaged and sent through the mail.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 08:51:08 am »
Agreed Bob - they let me in early to pick up my package and someone in the back was singing "let me tell you bout the birds and the bees". The guy waiting on me smiled and said that they had gotten in bees and chicks overnight . . .

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 08:55:05 am »
Glad you got them home. It?s that time of year   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 11:14:12 am »
Congratulations, I hope the weather is good at your location. When will you install? Take some pictures!
 :grin:

Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 01:04:40 pm »
Congratulations on getting your bees.
My dad ordered his bees through the mail about 45 years ago. They call him when they came in and said get these darn things out of here. Some the bees were on the outside of the cage.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 03:16:02 pm »
My dad ordered his bees through the mail about 45 years ago. They call him when they came in and said get these darn things out of here. Some the bees were on the outside of the cage.
Jim Altmiller
Jim do you remember what he paid for bees then? 

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 04:42:55 pm »
I've got the reducer on now, had to crop the pic to get it down to 200kb but wanted you to see the bee flying on the left side of the bottom box. Must be a drone, it's so big one would think it was a decal.
So that's water in the front feeder, and I have a gallon frame feeder in the hive with syrup, and 1/2 a pollen patty on top. This is right outside my screened porch, so I can sit with morning coffee and admire them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 05:10:31 pm »
Jim Altmiller

Jim do you remember what he paid for bees then? 
No, I never did know. He bought them for youngest brother, that only lasted a couple of months, right after I went in the Navy. My dad ended up working them by him self. He thought it was real comical how the post office was afraid of them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 06:01:35 pm »
Ms, Seeb, that is a beautiful package of bees and you provided food, properly.  I should receive a package shortly, shipped this AM.  I will pick up the package at the Post Office, also.  Enjoy your watching bees while you have your morning coffee, what a pleasant way to start the day.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 06:34:13 pm »
Thank you Van, it feels so good having bees again, and Phillip, it was about 63 when I hived them today, and will get down in the mid fifties tonight, but it's supposed to be in the high seventies to mid eighties through the weekend. Maples and many other sources are blooming well.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 08:19:50 pm »
Congratulations, Aurelia!  I hope all goes well with the new bees.   :happy:

had to crop the pic to get it down to 200kb
Just a tip, you can easily resize photos using Microsoft Paint (if you have a PC) or an app like ResizeIt (if you are using a mobile device).  I'm not sure how to do it with a Mac, although there is probably a way.  If you resize you can post the whole picture without cropping it. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 08:27:48 pm »
Thanks Member - I have a mac, and I usually can get it to 200kb, but this time I had to crop it.  Not a computer wiz and don't understand the lingo, I just play around with things until they work - lol

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 11:00:39 pm »

Trinocular stereo microscopes with digital camera and Mac book airPro, latest toy for insemination of queen bees.  Now I can video for the few who are interested.

Not a computer wiz, I am in same boat.  But I can click enough icons to make things work, and somehow tech items works.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.