Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi, newbee, determined to do better with bees, SW Pennsylvania.  (Read 1410 times)

Offline crumplezone

• Brood
I joined a local bee club in 2014, unexpectedly received a NUC soon there after. In hind site that wasn't the plan. I set out to learn as much as possible in 2014, get bees in 2015. So I struggled with the bees for two and a half years never really achieving two strong hives which was my intent. In 2016, I was down to one colony which was really doing well. Bad weather postponed splitting the hive and when I did go out to do the split they were gone! I was so disappointed.
Fast forward to 2018, I took another BEEK101 class, been doing a lot of reading , I picked up more equipment, when I'm done assembling and painting I'll have enough for four 8-frame medium hives. I'm building NUC boxes, and other components to help out. I'm going to stick to the plan this year. Tomorrow I'll be attending a "splitting " class at the local bee yard. I have seven swarm traps out in four different locations. My brother n law told me he has seen a couple bees checking out one trap, they haven't moved in yet. If I catch a swarm, great, if not I'll buy bees next year. Just finished Steve Repasky's book Swarm Essentials.
Hope to find local BEEKs to learn from and do a better job this time around.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hi, newbee, determined to do better with bees, SW Pennsylvania.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:15:20 pm »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline moebees

• House Bee
Re: Hi, newbee, determined to do better with bees, SW Pennsylvania.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 05:21:09 pm »
Welcome! :smile:
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini