Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi From Florida  (Read 2013 times)

Offline MsTsBees

• Brood
Hi From Florida
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:18 am »
I am really considering beekeeping as a hobby and have been doing research in preparation for owning my own backyard hive or two spring of 2019. I understand beekeepers have to register with the state in Florida, but what about Home insurance and liability??? All of my internet research is conflicting and/or confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hi From Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
After you have your hives, let the bee inspector know you have them. The best way is to join your local bee club. Most of our inspectors are members of the local clubs in FL.
I would not inform your insurance company. Some will drop you. There is one, not sure which, that will give you an umbrella policy.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:02:07 pm »
Welcome. :happy:

I don't know about Florida but my insurance company did an inspection a couple of years ago and saw that I had bees.  They asked me if it was a hobby or a business.  They said that if I made money off them that I probably would not be covered under my current policy.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »
If it is a hobby there is no record of making money.  Your wallet might get fatter but there should be no record of how that happened.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 07:19:48 pm »
If it is a hobby there is no record of making money.  Your wallet might get fatter but there should be no record of how that happened.
Exactly. :wink:

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 07:44:46 pm »
If you say it's a business, you can write off stuff on taxes, but if you go too long without making money the IRS says it's a hobby and disallows the expenses.  If you say it's a hobby, but you make some money from it, they they it's a business and you have to jump through business hoops.  Looks like they've got you any way you go.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:11:17 pm »
Noooooo you say it is a hobby and as all things hobby you use cash.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:41:10 pm »
Fence your bee yard and post no trespassing signs will decrease any liability from kids messing with you bees. Florida has Better Management Practices for beekeepers and once you are registered the inspector will go over them with you. The list includes fencing the yard, distances from property lines, number of hives per acre and hive entrance direction.   
  If you are worried about someone gets stung off your property the burden of proof falls on them as to where the stinging insect came from and what type it was.
  After hurricane Irma the adjuster came onto my property and spotted my hives but never made anything of it. I even tried to claim one that was wiped out by a tree during the storm but the rest of the damage didn't make my deductible.   

anything