Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: soybean fields--part of honey flow??  (Read 9246 times)

Offline budsbee

• New Bee
    • budsbees.com
soybean fields--part of honey flow??
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:33:59 pm »
do bees get nectar from soybean flowers ? or any other part of the plant? If so how does the honey taste?

I have about 1200 acres of soybeans near me this year, last year it was corn.
 :-D :-D :-D

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: soybean fields--part of honey flow??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:13:34 am »
do bees get nectar from soybean flowers ? or any other part of the plant? If so how does the honey taste?

I have about 1200 acres of soybeans near me this year, last year it was corn.
 :-D :-D :-D

They will forage soybeans if they have to, they'll get nectar and pollen.  Corn is usally a source of pollen only.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:14:54 am »
I have read several threads asking about soybeans.  From what I can draw, the new hybrids that most farmers now plant are self pollinating plus they produce little or no nectar.  Some argue its depends on the variety of soybean, and that may well be true.  Look and see what your bees do.  

David

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:32:13 am »
I get very nice medium light honey from soybeans.  It has a very good flavor.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline budsbee

• New Bee
    • budsbees.com
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:40:37 pm »
 thanks for the info.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:45:40 pm »
I put some NUC's on soybeans last summer. They built up nice and survived the winter. Everyone around here planted wheat and corn this year.

Good luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:54:58 pm »
I am going to try my own experience.  I happened to mention it to a friend of mine and he is going to let me set some hives in the middle of seventy acres of soybeans.  They should be blooming next month.  Everything is late here cause of the rain.

David

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:36:29 pm »
Both hybrid cotton and soybeans do not produce alot of nectar.   It depends on what is planted.
Chuck and Fran

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 12:49:56 am »
>do bees get nectar from soybean flowers ?

Sometimes.

> If so how does the honey taste?

Great.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 01:45:02 am »
   I hear the most about soybeans and cotton honeys.  I don't hear a lot about varietal (wildflower) honey, which is what I have.  I do like all three though. :-D
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 07:48:37 pm »
I ventured out in the soybean field today to see if the girls were working the blooms, and yes they were.  We set two hives there last week, I am curious as to what they produce.  My friend said I could set more hives if I wanted to, so I may set out one of my weaker hives in another soybean field of his to help it get stores for winter.  Just my observation at this point.  Still learning.

David

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 01:30:48 am »
>do bees get nectar from soybean flowers ?

Sometimes.

> If so how does the honey taste?

Great.

I have a major question Mr Bush. Which times?
  :grin: :grin: :grin:
 There are soybeans close to my parents house and I am wondering.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 01:43:45 am »
I?d like to know as well.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 07:57:59 am »
There is about 500 acres of soybeans 2000 feet east of my bees. The beans are not yet in bloom. East Tenn. Had a very wet spring, all my garden stuff is late as well.

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 09:43:49 am »
Typically only certain varieties of soybeans produce nectar.  Soybeans are self pollinating and have no natural need to produce nectar.  This year the variety of soybeans that produces nectar according to Pioneer is P46A57BX.  If you work with local farmers in range of your bees to plant this variety of soybeans it could be a win/win situation for your bees and the farmer as studies have shown that soybeans pollinated by honey bees yield increases upto 20%.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2019, 09:43:10 pm »
Typically only certain varieties of soybeans produce nectar.  Soybeans are self pollinating and have no natural need to produce nectar.  This year the variety of soybeans that produces nectar according to Pioneer is P46A57BX.  If you work with local farmers in range of your bees to plant this variety of soybeans it could be a win/win situation for your bees and the farmer as studies have shown that soybeans pollinated by honey bees yield increases upto 20%.

Very good information Live Oak. Thank you.

There is about 500 acres of soybeans 2000 feet east of my bees. The beans are not yet in bloom. East Tenn. Had a very wet spring, all my garden stuff is late as well.

Sputnik, Maybe your local beans will be the right variety.  I hope this works out for you. Let us know if it helps your honey production. I am interested. Thanks
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything