Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does any body hunt with dogs?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Does any body hunt with dogs?
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:12 pm »
I went off talking about hog hunting with dogs in the timber Rattlers thread and it made me wander how many dog hunters we have on here. Weather you run hounds for Coons, or beagle's for rabbits I'd like to hear about it. Me, I used to coon hunt (heavily) with walker coonhounds, now I hog hunt with cur dogs.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Does any body hunt with dogs?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:40:58 pm »
I've been a coon hunter for about 30 years give or take. I've always run walkers but I have a nice little red tick English now.
Neill

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:51:08 pm »
Do you run papered dog's? Not that it matters. I did though. My best walker was a dog out of wessels wild card, and a female named deanwoods hali. I like an English dog myself. Have you ever heard of a red English dog named big river Dan?
Take a kid fishing !

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:40:14 pm »
My dog before this one was a beagle.  I got him as a pup that could barily climb a blade of grass.  I hunted rabbits with him of about his ten year life.  He was not in the greatest of health during the last three or four years of his life.  When young, he could run all day but near the end four hours and he could not climb in the car.  I used to make fun of my wife because she took all the care of him, wormed him picked his ticks and yada yada yada.  I could get his attention by just showing him a gun.  My opinion of the day he died was that he ran hisself to death.  He was a house dog and we had to go on a trip and so he was outside at my dads and with the freedom to run all day and the heat, he only lasted a day or two.  All the kids and wife cryed.  Most beagles I have been around are just the best natured dogs I know of.  They also are some of the worst to get to come to you if they are running rabbits untill they are just so wore out that they have no choice.

You ask
Cheers
gww
Ps  When young we used a blue tic and a red bone a couple of times to try and hunt rabbits with with only small successes but still success.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 12:05:17 am »
Beagle's have an excellent tempement for sure. There viscous though if they ever happen to catch up to the rabbit. I've seen it.....and your right about them not wanting to come to you when hunting. It's pretty much impossible to call them off of a track. I haven't ever owned any beagle's for rabbit hunting, but my friend has a bunch of good ones, and my grandparents had 2 that were just yard dogs. I like them. I live on the river and the folks that own a huge tract of land on the other side run beagle's all day long during season and it sure is nice to sit and listen to when I'm up early drinking coffee. Ahhhhh.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:41:52 am »
Both of ours are just yard dogs although both probably would have made excellent hunters if they had a bit more time and education as pups.
A male jack Russell terrier and a female lab, they actually make a good team hunting in the yard. The JRT never stops and the lab does all the heavy work. Have watched her lift sheets of iron so the JRT can get to rats and mice he has cornered.
Their best effort was a fox in the yard, they woke me at about 1am with the JRT going more ballistic than normal, wouldn't come to the back door so I investigated with a torch. One fox cornered between the bird aviary and fence, when the JRT finally flushed him out the lab really surprised me, I expected her to grab it by the throat/neck and shake but she simple grabbed it by the chest bit and crushed until it stopped moving and then released it. She is a very large dog close to 100lb and I've watched her dispatch rabbits and rats the same way. Despite this she is very soft in the mouth when she chooses, she will pick ripe tomatos and drop them at the back door without marking them.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 02:30:17 pm »
Fishing-nut,

I have four walkers, all papered. Their grandpa was nocturnal Kane. I have heard of Dan, he was a good hound. My first dog when I was a little boy was a beagle and she was a rabbit hunting fool. A sweeter, more lovable dog a boy couldn't have hoped for.
Neill

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 05:45:31 pm »
Dan belonged to a guy I know name Mark Looney. Dan became a dual grand night champ along with other big wins before he was 2 years old. A little controversy behind that hound but he was a solid dog for sure. I competed against mark several times. Those nocturnal Walker dogs are the real deal to. Kane is bred real good. I tried a bunch of the swamp rooster blood in the English dogs and just couldn't get satisfied. They had plenty of drive but the ones I had always seemed to have some aggression at the tree. I've see some that didn't though so I can't speak to much on that. Probably just my luck.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 06:50:05 am »
My third birthday present was a beagle. She was a great rabbit dog and a great house pet. She circled rabbits until they were either shot or holed up. Unfortunately she was hit by a car. When she died we got another beagle that chased rabbits up to the day she died of natural causes. She was a great dog. We had a Lab at the same time that was a good upland bird dog but on at least 2 occasions she caught rabbits in deep snow. I saw her do it twice who knows how many times she did it when we were not watching. Since then I had 2 more Labs and my dad had 3 more beagles. One of the beagles chased a rabbit into a hole in a hollow tree. She stuck her head in and got stuck. They looked all over for her. They finally found her 2 weeks later and had to cut her out with a chainsaw. That was before GPS collars. If I was to rabbit hunt again I would get the GPS collar. If it wasn't for Marcy getting stuck in a tree I would have thought they were just a cool novelty. Marcy almost didn't survive the ordeal. A great weight loss program but I don't recommend it. One of the other beagles chased a rabbit into multi floral rose and was too dumb to let it be. Finally my dad went in and got her. My mom thought she had been shot she was so covered in blood. Now I have 2 German Shorthair Pointers. One is a pacifist that would be a good bird dog if she wasn't gun shy. The other is a great bird dog. When he was 4 months old I took him pheasant hunting and my dad's Lab flushed a bird that we shot. Molly figured she flushed it her job was done, some retriever she is... We looked for about 1/2 an hour and finally Gunner dragged it out by the wing. He does not play fetch games but he does retrieve game. He chewed everything as a puppy but he has turned into everything I ever wanted in a dog... Or for those of us with dyslexia a god...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:40:08 am by Eric Bosworth »
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Barlon

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 06:16:21 pm »
I used to hunt rats with jack russels which was great since nearly no rats got away between me and my dog we'd wipe out the pesky rats however my dog got killed and things have never been the same since, on another note one of my uncles uses hunting dogs however I only know them as pig dogs, their very large and not too pretty but they'll grab a boar pig and wressle it to the ground pretty amazing stuff however my uncle's main pig dog ended up getting too old for the job and while the new ones seem to manage I've never seen a dog wressle a pig nearly as well as that old dog.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »
When I was a boy we had a pointer and a setter for quail. Beagles for rabbits. I never went with him or even knew him, but a fellow my daddy knew hunted Raccoons with beagles. I wish I could have went hunting at least once with the man to have witnessed that sight. Anyone else ever heard of coon hunting with beagles?
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 10:11:47 pm »
I've never coon hunted with beagles but have heard of it. I have a half Lab-half Great Dane that trees coons and squirrels on a regular basis. Sounds like he's blowwing all the leaves off the trees. Half also treed coons with rat terriers and mountain Feist.
Neill

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 10:29:24 pm »
I've never coon hunted with beagles but have heard of it. I have a half Lab-half Great Dane that trees coons and squirrels on a regular basis. Sounds like he's blowwing all the leaves off the trees. Half also treed coons with rat terriers and mountain Feist.

herb, I bet he really could belower nicely!  We once had a feist dog when I was a boy we loved, "shorty".   As Stymie on the little rascals might say, "He was a snake killing fool!" lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.