Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa mite detected at Port of Melbourne  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Russ

• New Bee
Varroa mite detected at Port of Melbourne
« on: June 29, 2018, 12:57:52 am »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-06-29/varroa-mite-detected-in-melbourne/9923972

Maybe Melbournian Beeks should check every single hive regularly from now on?

Offline Milo

• House Bee
Re: Varroa mite detected at Port of Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:09:36 am »
You beat me to it - I was just about to post

Sod everyone else in the world who complains about the Oz bio-security!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:48:33 am by Milo »

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:24:50 pm »
If that day arrives then start with some mites resistant bees.  Eventually you will find
some.   And using cap brood removal management method with OAV should keep them in
control.   I don't use OAV anymore so only removing the cap broods to interrupt the mite cycle.  No need to
treat for 4 seasons already. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 07:24:46 pm »
If it came from Texas, it is Varro Destructor.
I recommend you start using small cell foundation or foundation less to give your bees a chance to survive this parasite. 
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:17:21 pm »
Thank goodness for strong bio security. More sentinel hives installed so chances of spotting any escapees are good.
It is just a matter of when not if. Enjoy it while we can.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 11:00:49 pm »
Thank goodness for strong bio security. More sentinel hives installed so chances of spotting any escapees are good.
It is just a matter of when not if. Enjoy it while we can.
The positive tidbit in the report is that the bees were spotted as many were dead.
That says the colony was in dire peril so hopefully few to none foragers remained
at that time of the ship's docking.

Yet your pessimism is well warranted, and I believe mine also,  as it is exactly this
attitude/approach "then start with some mites resistant bees" that is going to
sink our industry. Also as it is well known many with bees in their backyard
 *will not* practice vigilant hygiene processes the takeup of VD will happen in just
one season.
Closed State borders, which is being touted as a solution to eradication if
VD pops, is not any solution as we see here by report the ship's captain notified the
 find yet the ship was allowed to proceed into our waters and dock.
Such is the true quality of BioSecurity anywhere in the Country... very poor response
policys often excused by lack of funding.

I am ready for VD... spent months at it now in study.
Beyond the few panic merchants locally I cannot say I have ran into anyone
even aware of the depth of the threat, most just simply shrugging an incursion off in
derision... or as that (beepro) passage quoted in that someone will figure out a solution
so proactive is then not their problem.

Bill

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:33:50 am »
I believe it's standard in Australia to use small cell foundation? At least, small or large sized foundation isn't offered, and I checked the size of my foundation and it's the same size as what I read is "small sized foundation".

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:32:12 am »
Omni,
That is a very good thing. It should make a big difference.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 11:56:46 am »
At this stage all mites were destroyed on the ship. All hives within 2kms of docks are being checked regularly. (Being winter some hives might die) The department of resources are also hunting down any feral hives.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:02:16 am »
At this stage all mites were destroyed on the ship. All hives within 2kms of docks are being checked regularly. (Being winter some hives might die) The department of resources are also hunting down any feral hives.

You have the inside running on ground activity Lance?

Bill

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 05:52:00 am »
You can follow the latest here: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/about-us/media-releases/agriculture-victoria-steps-up-surveillance-after-varroa-mite-detection

Got them in eMail thanks Max.
I was hoping Lance may be in touch with one of the b'keep crew, or
some hobknob. After that 4Corners piece on whitespot my faith in
the Dept. has run down the gurgler well and truly.

Bill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:37 am »
You fellows should be very concerned about this. There is another concern that I would be on top of if I was an Australian, especially since the ship came from Texas. That would be the Afrinized bee. I read the news report and no where in the report was the concern of testing this rogue colony, as to weather it was Afrinized, mentioned by Mr Nigal Ainsworth.  Good luck cousins ...  Sincerely Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:37 am »
Another concern I would have from ships arriving from Texas would bee Raspberry Crazy Ants.
A fellow Beek, about 6 miles from me, had a new neighbor move in across the street from him with their horses and equipment. They brought the ants with them and now his farm is over run with them. They cannot keep them out of their house. They are attracted to electrical currents. Houston Space Agency had to shut down their facilities because they could not keep them out of their electrical equipment.
I just talked to another farmer a few days ago near me that is being overrun with them.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 11:17:12 am »
Another concern I would have from ships arriving from Texas would bee Raspberry Crazy Ants.
A fellow Beek, about 6 miles from me, had a new neighbor move in across the street from him with their horses and equipment. They brought the ants with them and now his farm is over run with them. They cannot keep them out of their house. They are attracted to electrical currents. Houston Space Agency had to shut down their facilities because they could not keep them out of their electrical equipment.
I just talked to another farmer a few days ago near me that is being overrun with them.
Jim

Jim I have never heard of this type ant. Is this a native of Texas or was it brought in from abroad? 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 01:39:14 pm »
It is an illegal alien.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 01:40:38 pm »
Oops, I meant, an undocumented alien.  :angry:
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:35 pm »
Jim

About the same thing ? 😁

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »
Jim

About the same thing ? 😁

Invader, unwelcomed guest, lawbreaker, barger inner, illegal opportunist, etc? Woops what am I thinking, bugs can't read? Drop the lawbreaker, illegal opportunist part please. 😊😁

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 05:46:18 am »
Getting back on track, and drilling down to the practical, I say about this;
"no where in the report was the concern of testing this rogue colony,"

The colony was euthanased within hours of the ship docking, so with any luck even
orientation had not completed let alone any drone orgy happening - like where would
they find togas on a _ Texan _ ship??
Also the chance of a Texas lady, loaded with VD, rubbing noses on a hibiscus flower with
a sleek Italian prima in Victoria in July is a big stretch, even if they had a day or so to
get through with visa checks excetera.

No room for complacency over this 'invasion' of coastal waters but assuming b'keeps in
Melbourne do not boats shows little understanding of the global beekeeping diversity
of knowledge.
All that said... do keep an eye on your colonys, Aussie beeks.

Bill