Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Lifts  (Read 16048 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Hive Lifts
« on: March 23, 2020, 02:59:10 am »
I have seen a good hand full of different videos on hive lifts. These lifts are similar to a freight dolly. Two wheels, hand balanced. some have a hand crank similar to a winch of a small boat trailer while others are more sophisticated affording an electric motorized winch type set up. Do any of you use anything similar to what I just tried to describe?

Thanks,
Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:01:48 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Hive Lifts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:30:02 am »
I thought long and hard about making one but when push come to shove for me I didn't need it.  The problem is in order for these devices to be stable you need enough room to work and stable level ground.  I had the room but not level stable ground.  I can't say it enough.  Choosing to use nothing but 8 frame mediums has made beekeeping possible for my back and just about eliminates the need for hive lifts.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 05:37:39 pm »
thinking about this also. So far the son has elected to stay here in community college and at 21 he still works for candy bars. I need to move 5 doubles and just supered them up. A friend of mine made a little lift for scrounging boulders.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:47:40 pm »
Yes Sir, Ace, my ground is not level.  I know what your saying.  All we need is a BobCat on track, only $35k so we can move a beehive.  However if I paid $35,000 for a BobCat skidster for honeybees, my wife would use it to dig my grave.  As beautiful as my wife is, a skidster might be pushing things a bit.  Although I had a BobCat skidster for the horses, however the wife loved her horses, not so much honeybees,,,, so my back is blown.  I?ll spare ya the details.

Health to your bees,
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 10:56:45 pm »
I have been thinking of making one with my recent injury.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 11:31:13 pm »
I use the Kubota fork lift to move large complete hives a long distance but for short distances I break the hive apart to move it.  I believe Michael Bush has that on his web site or said same on one of the bee forums. 
If you break it apart just put it back together the same as you started.  I have done this many time without any problems.  Try to know where the queen is and take care to gently move her box.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 11:35:55 pm »
I have been thinking of making one with my recent injury.

Same here. I was injured a few years ago pretty severely. Though I am ok now. It is still better to take good care of my back for the future I am thinking. Therefore I bought a small winch past weekend just for this purpose. I do not think terrain will be a problem for me if I build this accordingly. I certainly do not want to struggle at an older age, or any age for that matter, if I can buy or build something that will be of great aid=value. Some of the videos that I have watched look very promising!

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:02:03 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 11:41:56 pm »
> I use the Kubota fork lift to move large complete hives a long distance but for short distances I break the hive apart to
    move it.

This is part of the beauty of the hand truck type hive lifts. You can use it stationary, breaking stacks where needed to add QE, Extra Brood box, etc without lifting the boxes on top by hand and back. Then simply lower the stack back in place. When desired when done. I'm sure that it will not be appealing to everyone. It does have my attention for sure.

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:02:15 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 06:42:59 am »
We run an Ezy-Loader and trailer that carries 50 full depth doubles . you can Google it but I will try to put up a photo.
Ours has a 4.4meter boom and is self levelling, so terrain is not an issue.
Arsy on the back and easy on the bees.

ADMIN NOTE: If you click on thumbnail picture will display correctly.  I have no idea why this is.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:38:59 am by Robo »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 09:03:17 am »
You can use it stationary, breaking stacks where needed to add QE,
Well if that is what you want to do I did make a lift for inserting a bee escape.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 11:03:04 am »
You can use it stationary, breaking stacks where needed to add QE,
Well if that is what you want to do I did make a lift for inserting a bee escape.

That sounds good Ace. You have my attention. With the type I am talking about you can also move the whole hive if it is not too tall. Is your design similar, (with wheels)? Some of us have discussed the hive lift design here before and I posted a video here at beemaster featuring the use of one type of bee lift.  Some here concluded the wheels would need to be big enough to make this an easier transportation transition across rough terrain for those who have rough ground. I am going to see what I can come up with. Not only for myself but I am thinking of Mr Van, and any other beekeeper who may have back problems, along with those of us who may want to avoid back problems. I am thinking "wouldn't it be nice to handle ten frame deep, full of honey with ease!"

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:02:26 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 08:54:58 am »
No Phill it is meant to just raise a stack of boxes high enough to slip a bee escape in.
https://youtu.be/nHDfDgHWCEo
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 11:46:56 am »
Nice Ace!!!  Thanks for sharing.

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:02:35 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 01:50:30 am »
I used to do the sweep up at a Tractor Trailer repair, and the lot was mostly asphalt covered with dirt.  Getting the cart through all the dry, constantly stirred, and otherwise soft earth, with the tiny caster wheels I had on that thing made me think a lot about how to move my tools where I needed it to be.

You would want to use large round wheels, with a wide footprint, like a fat tire bike.  Otherwise, I can't imagine this would be that difficult to get bicycle parts, and build one with a crank, and a few pieces of iron pipe.  A bicycle chain has a lot more stress placed on it than lifting a few hive bodies.  If I get old enough (60) to need one, I'll probably think harder.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 03:39:46 am »
This is one example that is already on the market. I have seen videos of older designs that use a hand winch such as used on a trailer to boat set up. This one looks like a back saver to me.

Phillip

https://youtu.be/DiaLdcS5SNw
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:02:45 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 06:31:41 am »
Yep, I've seen them, but I don't currently have a use for them.  I've shown the video examples with a hand crank on forums, and people just start adding drill motors, batteries, and so on.  Until I get one in my hands and use it for a while, I wouldn't know what I would want in a design.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 07:34:40 am »
Here is a link for an Ezy Loader on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFgrKALVT-8

It will give you the idea

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 10:23:40 am »
Oldbeavo Your lift is perfect for the larger beekeepers. I do not know of a better one. Thank you for posting.There are many beekeepers here that only have a few hives in their backyard or similar areas.  I have read repeatedly of folks with bad backs having to reduce down to medium frames because of weight. I am thinking even a full medium will be pretty heavy. This type beekeeper is what I am leaning toward and thinking of. The following is the oldest video that I have been able to find. (twelve years old). Let me add, until recently, I had not found many videos on this subject, looking again last night there are many videos with different styles from homemade to commercially produced hive lifts. I do not know if the following is commercially produced, but I basically like what I see. Check it out keeping the type beekeeper that I have described in mind.

PS the drill method will work as shown but how long will the battery hold up? I think this would be changed. lol

Phillip

https://youtu.be/_Leli7MjaaU
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:02:57 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 06:17:51 pm »
Phill I like the single wheel design and the hand crank and chain on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7o5rlNoyOw&feature=emb_rel_end
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 07:08:53 pm »
I like that one too ace. Really nice. The chain drive should be an advantage as making a smooth, strong, lifting and lowering experience. 

Phillip

anything