Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Abscond????  (Read 860 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Abscond????
« on: September 06, 2020, 03:22:12 pm »

So yesterday late I went through yard to feed. Found this small clump of bees laying outside one of my splits (smallest one). I knew what it probably was. I got down and looked and saw a Queen. She wasn?t being balled. So I went and got a veil and opened the hive. Went through it and didn?t see a Queen or any QCs. So I put her back inside the hive. Went back up there this morning early. And noticed some activity at entrance. More so than any of the other hives. Within minutes they started pouring out. Most were flying treetop high in big circles. Not your normal orientation flights. So I went and got a cage. I was going to catch her if I saw here come out. After about 10 minutes they all started coming back. Several ended up in hive next to it. I gave a few hours to settle down and went through the hive. Queen was in there as most the bees. No fresh eggs but larve of all stages and capped brood. I did add one apivar strip last weekend. Saw just a couple dead larvae. And one that was almost fully developed but wasn?t capped. Why would that be?  So why would they go to abscond and then change plans and come back?  Why was she outside yesterday afternoon?  I?ll check on them later in week and see if she starts back laying. I?m feeding them and they got pollen stores as well. 

anything