Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Questions about the Nicot system  (Read 1596 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Questions about the Nicot system
« on: May 01, 2020, 10:15:23 pm »
I have some questions about the Nicot queen rearing system.

1 - is it ok to have some workers in the cage with the queen?
2 - the instructions (mannlake) said to move the queen in the
Egg laying contraption/system to another queenless hive - why? Why can't the queen lay in the cage in her own hive?

Any idea? ... thanks.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Questions about the Nicot system
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 12:04:07 am »
Allen,
A worker in the cage should not bee a problem.
I have never heard to move the queen to a queen less hive.  I have a Nicot system. They are not the easiest System to make queens. Mainly because you put the Nicot cage in the hive for the workers to clean and the next day you have to go back into the hive and find the queen. Not always possible especially since you want to use your best queen, not the queens with a small hive.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:57:30 am by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 01:06:45 am »
Thank you Jim. That's what I figured - the instructions didn't make sense to me.

I put the frame with cups in the hive Wednesday - after soaking it in sugar syrup, for the bees to polish. Today I pulled the queen and placed her in there. I just couldn't get the workers out - so I closed about 10 of them in with her. ... my first time with the Queen Catcher  :grin: :grin: :grin:

You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 12:56:37 pm »
Alan I think you are confused. A cell starter is the place for a hopelessly queen-less hive, (where you remove the queen). This is where you remove the queen and add nurse bees at the proper timing.  Building a hive of readily, eager willing to produce, with an adequate supply of nurse bees able to fulfill you Nicot queen needs. This is where you place the bars of larva for the development of queen cells.

Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything