Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Still Think General Gets The Most Exposure  (Read 18684 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Still Think General Gets The Most Exposure
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:54:45 am »
I decided I would start this topic here to get the ball rolling, anyway, I still think general gets the most exposure on topics. I will post about the 15yr old colony I will be removing in about an hour, later on, so when I do, I will place it in Honeybee Removal Section, as the powers that be want these posts going there. Anyway, ya'll have a great day and will see you later in Honeybee Removal.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Still Think General Gets The Most Exposure
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:13:47 am »
I always go to "show unread posts" when I first go on the forum, so I always see what has been posted in any forum right away.  Best of this beautiful day, good luck with the cutout.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:17:43 pm »
Cindi, that's what I do too!  I can't wait to read about JP's newest adventure..wish we had more bees...I've never seen a swarm!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:19:08 pm »
That is where I always go at first. "Show unread posts since last visit." So this shows everything from every post. Like I said before JP. We will find you and hunt you down whereever you may be. You cannot hide from us.

Annette

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 02:15:06 pm »
I think JP's post is kind of like reading a adventure book and at the end of the post you put the book down think about what is in the next chapter. I think most people, well the regulars, go through all the areas that are highlighted orange. I keep them read and mark as read at the bottom when Im done.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:41:34 pm »
I still think general gets the most exposure on topics.

So what's the answer?  One big free-for-all forum with no type of organization?  I can see many people getting frustrated sorting thru the crap and not coming back....  so much for exposure then ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:12:29 pm »
JP:

"Announcing" in GENERAL that you're gonna have a post in REMOVAL is just as bad and and maybe worse than not posting in the proper forum in the first place. What you are doing is TURNING ON LIGHT BULBS in the heads of OTHER MEMBERS who will do the same thing, creating TWO post for the sake of one - please don't do this. I think the Mods you talk to every night are busy enough as it is, they don't need to be chasing "sneak-peek trailer posts" around the forums too!

Besides, if someone doesn't want to read a removal story, it doesn't matter WHERE you post it, they aren't going to read it, and if they do have interest, then nothing will stop them from finding it! Please JP - don't do this again, you are just opening a can of worms and putting wrong ideas into people's heads.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, although the powers that bee don't acknowledge it.  I have no idea why Rapid Beeyard Growth is separated from General.  It's all general.  The Removal forum as a sub of General is a good idea, however, I do understand JP's frustration, I don't like all of the divisions, either.  As for checking unread posts when I come here, I don't - I don't generally read all of the forums unless I really am looking for something specific.  I start at the top and browse through all of the administration stuff, the

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 12:33:16 am »
I still think general gets the most exposure on topics.

So what's the answer?  One big free-for-all forum with no type of organization?  I can see many people getting frustrated sorting thru the crap and not coming back....  so much for exposure then ;)

Ok, sorry Rob, I guess I stirred the pot the wrong way. You know my main beef. Its that the removal section at least on my computer, not Ken's, takes a while to load, its just aggravating. And I even have fast cable connection.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 12:36:51 am »
JP:

"Announcing" in GENERAL that you're gonna have a post in REMOVAL is just as bad and and maybe worse than not posting in the proper forum in the first place. What you are doing is TURNING ON LIGHT BULBS in the heads of OTHER MEMBERS who will do the same thing, creating TWO post for the sake of one - please don't do this. I think the Mods you talk to every night are busy enough as it is, they don't need to be chasing "sneak-peek trailer posts" around the forums too!

Besides, if someone doesn't want to read a removal story, it doesn't matter WHERE you post it, they aren't going to read it, and if they do have interest, then nothing will stop them from finding it! Please JP - don't do this again, you are just opening a can of worms and putting wrong ideas into people's heads.

Hey John, did anybody ever tell you how sexy you are when you're angry?
Ok, I knew I would get flack for making this post and shouldn't have posted it in the first place. I'll take my medicine and my lashings. Hey everyone, don't do what I did, my bad, my bad.

...JP

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:32 am »
I always look at all of the subsections of the forum that I'm interested in.  I hardly ever look in the ones I'm uninterested in.  Multiple posts, under different topics, is just creating a bottle neck, is redundant, unneccessary, and a waste of time, IMO.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:11:03 am »
You know my main beef. Its that the removal section at least on my computer, not Ken's, takes a while to load, its just aggravating. And I even have fast cable connection.

JP,

Hate to say it, but it is something up with your system.   The exact same code runs for all the forum sections (general, removal, coffee house, etc.)  and they all get the data from the same database.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:00 am »
That's not true, Robo, no other subforum has a map to draw every time you go to it.  It's slow on my computer too, a cable modem connection.  It's not horrible, just annoying.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 10:00:36 am »
You know my main beef. Its that the removal section at least on my computer, not Ken's, takes a while to load, its just aggravating. And I even have fast cable connection.

JP,

Hate to say it, but it is something up with your system.   The exact same code runs for all the forum sections (general, removal, coffee house, etc.)  and they all get the data from the same database.

Rob, I installed a new cable modum, latest version, and did a defrag before that, and my computer has never run faster. But...still loads slow in the removal section. Ann and Dallas report the same thing. Ken doesn't have this issue, perhaps he's running a mac. One day I think I'll get a mac and be done with Bill Gates.

...JP

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 10:56:45 am »
Removal sub also loads slower for me. It takes longer for the map to pop up. Not super slow the sub still loads slower than others. I also am runninmg on cable.
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 11:52:08 am »
Hi All:

Man, I have a lot to say now..... I'll address each poster as it comes up here.

JP Who ever said I was angry, that isn't the case and you been around plenty long enough to know when I am angry - the fact you find me SEXY when I am though is a bit creepy, but to each his own  :roll:

I'll be asking Robo to place a hypertext link leading to the swarm removal map in the removal forum, so that the page will load as fast as all others - if that doesn't satisfy those posting in Removal, I give up. I'm trying to work with everyone here and then you choose to post the "Don't look at this post" which is a clever title, but also was unnecessary of you to do. Your dry humor JP is taken as sarcasm, I have the same trouble often (to know me is to understand I have an EDGE about my speech that often is misinterpreted) you too have that edge, I've heard it in Voice Chat and accept it is your style. But don't rebel in a half hearted attempt to make the removal forum a Shangrala, it is only another forum - I know it is your lively hood (or a good chunk of it) but it is just another forum among many here, nothing personal.

But frankly, here is the point you all seem to be missing. If you post a removal post in General and it isn't replied to on any given afternoon, it will make it quickly to page to of General and MOST LIKELY never be seen or posted to again - is THAT what you want? Posts are coming in quickly and any post that don't make a sustained reply quickly disappear to later pages and into the void of the forum. By placing Removals in the Removal Forum, it has a much greater life expectancy, whether you believe that or not, it is true.

Reinbeau - rarely we disagree, I think of you a one of the wisest people in the forums, but NOT EVERYTHING is all General. If you want coffee House topics or Jokes in General, think of the chaos it would create. Even if JUST beekeeping topics all fell in General, it would be a mess to follow eventually.

Imagine the old library card system and imagine there being only one drawer to search from - that is the chaos it would create.

So, let's see if that map can be placed somewhere else, so the page loads quickly. I really thought that removals placed in the same forum (literally at the top as a headliner) would make removal people happy - sometimes in life though, the best intentions are poorly accepted: it goes back to the TQM motto "People don't mind change, they mind being changed" but we need order as we grow and the sooner the better.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 04:28:11 pm »
Thank you, John, sincerely, but I wasn't talking about the coffee house stuff, I'm talking about two specific forums, the General and the Rapid Beeyard Growth.  I don't see the difference.  I went over every subforum before I posted and only these two are totally redundant to my mind, but that's only my thoughts, I don't run the forum.  Of course the Coffee House needs to be separated, but then there's the joke forum, etc. down there - I rarely venture in there at all. 

While I've got your attention, what about things like wax processing, candle making, creamed honey, etc.  There is no forum for Products of the Hive, so to speak.  That's a bugger to find info out about here, there are too many variations to go through to get good info.  If there were a subforum for that, you wouldn't hear me complaining  ;)

Ok, enough, I enjoy Beemaster.com immensely and really think these nits aren't worth getting worked up over at all.  :-*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 05:36:18 pm »
Quote from the Beemaster:  I'm trying to work with everyone here and then you choose to post the "Don't look at this post" which is a clever title, but also was unnecessary of you to do. Your dry humor JP is taken as sarcasm, I have the same trouble often (to know me is to understand I have an EDGE about my speech that often is misinterpreted) you too have that edge, I've heard it in Voice Chat and accept it is your style. But don't rebel in a half hearted attempt to make the removal forum a Shangrala, it is only another forum - I know it is your lively hood (or a good chunk of it) but it is just another forum among many here, nothing personal.

My response: John, I only titled the post that way to capture people's interest. No foul of any kind or sarcasm was intended in the very least. I am not one to harbor ill feelings, that is just a waste of time. Its just a coincidence that my post in the removal section followed the other post I made that stirred the pot. I had so moved past that, and to assume that I linked the two together was just a miscalculation on your part, albeit, unknowingly, no offense John. I was joking about the "you're sexy when you're mad thing", that gives you that creepy feeling. Lighten up John, I'm not the only one that thinks you're sexy when you're mad trust me, the entire forum thinks so, don't ya'll?  :-* :-D :evil: ;) :)

...JP

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 06:15:58 pm »
I'll be asking Robo to place a hypertext link leading to the swarm removal map in the removal forum, so that the page will load as fast as all others - if that doesn't satisfy those posting in Removal, I give up.

I will work on revamping the removal forum so that the map is a separate page similar to the donations page.  However,  my focus right now is migrating the forums to a new hosting provider (zunibee's company).   I am taking the same diligent approach and pre-testing that I did when we switched forum packages in November of 2006.  I want this transition to be as seamless as possible to the users, if not totally transparent.   I'm sure you guys don't want the forum to be offline for a week now do you?  Where would you get your daily beekeeping fix :)   

So the revamping of the removal forum will have to wait until the transition is complete.  So please be patient and just remember living with a slow page for a bit beats having the forum down.  So no more whining JP :'(

I'll be keeping everyone posted as we get closer to transition day.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 07:25:01 pm »
With Firefox,it takes about three and a half seconds to load the page with the map.I have cable internet access.I can wait 3 or 4 seconds without any problems.

anything