Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A few rustic creations  (Read 7453 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
A few rustic creations
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:50:17 pm »
Have piles of rusty old corrugated iron sitting around, Have been planning to make a few garden ornaments for a couple of years and finally got around to it yesterday.

Need to do a bit more work on the front leg and head of the cow silhouette but happy enough with how the others turned out.
Plasma would make life much easier than the oxy with a size 6 tip, not so much cutting as melting my way along, makes doing any fine detail a bit hard.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: A few rustic creations
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:21:08 am »
 :cool:

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:57 am »
Nice work

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:17:00 pm »
Maybe just rotate the corrugations on the cow like you did on the calf and the chicken? I think the detail and the silhouette is fine.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:27:41 pm »
Looks pretty good.
Have you tried selling them.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:47:25 pm »
Looks pretty good to me.

Joe D

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 08:21:30 am »
Thumbs up, good work
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 06:26:33 am »
Found a bit of time the last couple of days to make some more of these and a couple of new designs (rooster & feeding chicken).
My brother does 4-5 farmers markets a week in Sydney, I have 3 of each design going to the city Thursday, will be interesting to see if he can move a few for me.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 12:41:39 pm »
Found a bit of time the last couple of days to make some more of these and a couple of new designs (rooster & feeding chicken).
My brother does 4-5 farmers markets a week in Sydney, I have 3 of each design going to the city Thursday, will be interesting to see if he can move a few for me.

What do you price them at?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 03:48:44 pm »
Wasn't sure what to price them at, who better to ask than a teenage girl, my daughter said $20-30.
Will cover costs and make a nice profit at that so going with it to start with.
Spoke to my brother and he is of the opinion people will either love them and want them regardless of cost or not be interested in them even if you were giving them away.

I have been picking wild blackberries for a few hours once a week for the past few weeks, haven't been game to ask what he has been selling them at (at a guess $60kg +) I'm getting $35kg with him supplying punnets. Once I got my technique down I can pick sort and package almost 2kg per hour. The first week was a request for 2kg from a restaurant, I sent 3kg in 500g punnets and they took the lot. Last week I sent over 50 125g punnets to put on a stall and they went within a couple of hours.

I'm still trying to get my head around some of the prices paid and the volume he can sell. It is one of the reasons Im looking to expand my hive numbers fairly quickly. When he found out I had started with bees he said he would take 100kg a week if I can supply it.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:38 pm »
Spoke to my brother and he is of the opinion people will either love them and want them regardless of cost or not be interested in them even if you were giving them away.

I have found that the case with most craftshows/farmers markets.  If people want it they will pay for it.  Hope you do well.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 04:49:05 pm »
Have sold over a dozen of these, surprisingly I have sold more through my shop than my brother has at the markets.
They are generating plenty of interest and comment in the shop, had an approach last week from a woman who is just starting a online business wanting to sell them on consignment.
Certainly not going to get rich off them but they are keeping me in beer money  :cool:

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 06:25:27 pm »
Beer money is good, good for you.
gww

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 06:27:56 pm »
Have added a few other designs and they are still continuing to sell, 3 on Saturday, 1 Sunday and another yesterday.
Will put a few more pics up when I get the chance. Have a few more cut out I need to attach stakes on but have run out of rivets, grabbed 100 when I started so must have made close to 50 of these now.

Great beer money  :cool:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:32:51 am »
Nice. If you made 50, how many are sold?
Ben Franklin

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 12:11:31 am »
Very cute!  :cool:

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 05:39:28 pm »
Nice. If you made 50, how many are sold?

Sent 18 to my brother, he has only sold a handful the rest have gone into our shop. Haven't kept accurate records but only had 7 left and the majority of them were hanging versions not the stake version that has been far more popular. Sold 3 while I was in the shop Sat and another Monday
some where between 20 & 25 sold in the shop at a guess

Have added a few different animals, have added another 2 styles of hens, a couple of pigs and rabbits, the hens have been by far the most popular. Had a couple of requests for pigs and only did one of each style of rabbit to see how they would go. One of those never made it into the shop, sold on the foot path before I could carry it through the door.

The more rust on the sheets of iron the better as far as the customers are concerned, lucky I have a bit of a stockpile, enough for another 100 animals at least.

I will take a few pics of the other designs when I get the chance.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 07:04:31 pm »
Keep an eye out for old barns being torn down. If you put it on the internet you may be able to make a good living doing it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 04:46:46 pm »
Those are very cool. And I think the asking price is more than fair. Nice work.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 05:37:10 pm »
Still selling 1 or 2 a week in the shop, the last lot of the bulls heads I made were from a sheet my son used to pattern some 410 buckshot we had loaded. Quite a rustic look with the bullet holes and rust  :cool:
Have thought about selling them online but postage costs here in Aus are crazy, cost is nearly as much as Im selling them for.