Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big 10 Football  (Read 37952 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Big 10 Football
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 09:52:28 am »
How can someone who witnessed child abuse not call the police? This I just don't get.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:13 am »
How can someone who witnessed child abuse not call the police? This I just don't get.

to me that is equally disturbing. if it were me he'd be getting the snot beat out of him until the cops showed up to save him.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:39 am »

...JP

In my opinion, he is on the same level as the person who committed the act.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 05:19:34 pm »
removed by me
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:40:36 pm by VolunteerK9 »

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 03:07:23 am »
You guys think it's hard to pick who is gonna win.  You should try your hand at picking on the spread.  Won some good money in a work pool doing that over the season. 
Hankdog, how did you do picking the winners this week! 

What a lot of BCS upsets.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 12:57:54 pm »
"Hurrah for the Yellow and Blue!"  Good game!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 11:45:06 pm »
I had to laugh at the “Yahoo Users Rankings” for college football tonight. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/polls

As of tonight, they have the teams ranked like this:
1. Michigan State!
2. LSU
3. Arkansas
4. Alabama
5. Wisconsin.

LOL, the MSU Spartan’s #1?  What a joke.  There’s no team with a longer history of fumbling and bumbling away games than the Spartans.  Maybe it was that article about Victoria Secret’s new Michigan State jersey that pushed them ahead in the polls?  
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Victoria-Secret-shirt-fails-Michigan-State-8217?urn=ncaaf-wp10226

The Green and White Michigan State jersey that says “Hail to the victors” under “Spartans”.  LOL.  

Either they have complete idiots working at VS or they are marketing geniuses; I don’t know which.  They sure got plenty of free marketing for not knowing up from down when it comes to their product.  Hail to the Victors has to be one of the most recognized fight songs in college athletics.  Anybody not living on the Moon knows that is the fight song for the Maize and Blue Michigan Wolverines.  

The Green and White Spartans over in East Lansing have some lame fight song about "on the banks of the red ceder...blah...blah...blah".

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 06:46:58 pm »
Well, they got the "S" and the "U" parts right.  :lau:

It was great watching the Cornhuskers go down, after the BS "tie" in '97.

Welcome to the B1G!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 07:53:49 pm »
Yeah, if Nebraska thought the Big 10 was going to be cake walk, they got a wake up call.  The Big 10 gets beat up a lot in the press as inferior, but if you have to play in the league it’s a tough road.  The only team you can take for granted is the Golden Gophers! 

The “spread” system used so effectively in other conferences (Florida, Oregon) gets demolished when it has to deal with big boys at the line of scrimmage.   I know we had high hopes for Rich Rods spread when he was hired as coach.  He did give us some exciting high scoring games, but in the end, his spread got thoroughly crushed in Big 10 play.

It’s a mystery to me why the Big 10 teams always collapse in the bowl games.  I’m going to go with the warm weather as being a significant factor and maybe over confidence.  Who knows.

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 10:03:07 pm »
It’s a mystery to me why the Big 10 teams always collapse in the bowl games

always ? i believe you are quite mistaken about that. it happens sometimes just like in any other conference. usually it is because they match up the #5 big ten team against the #2 sec  or some similar mismatch and it turns into a blowout.

i believe they do that just to make the sec look good. a few years ago they were talking about how tough the sec was because they all had one loss, but if everyone in the big ten has 1 or even 2 losses ( which is just about every year ) its because none of them are any good.   :roll:

also they used to keep score of bowl victories by conference each year, until the big east went 5-0, then it became non-existent, it only gets mentioned when the sec has the best record conference-wise.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 10:52:10 pm »
Hoke and Mattison appear to have righted harvest wain.  Another year or two and the RR years will fade into history like a bad hangover.  Everybody gets beat, but not like the debacle against (the other) MSU last year.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »
The latest media speculation is Urban Meyer to OSU?  Do you think it will happen?  Would it be successful?

I don’t get it?  If he walked away from Florida twice to “spend more time with his family and health concerns”, why would he get back into coaching a 3rd time?  If he wanted to go back, why go to the Buckeyes?  Seems to me if he really wanted to be back as coach he would have stayed with the program he built at Florida.  Who wants to move from Gainesville to Columbus?

Would he even be a good fit at OSU?  Rich Rod pretty much proved that spread based systems get crushed in Big 10 play.  I think it’s a bad move any way you slice it; except for the $$$$. 

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »
No I sure didn't look at any of the games other then watching the Hokies play tuesday nite.  Got to see them move up to 5th in the BCS standings too hot dog.  I started to do research for you guys and post my pics one week and just didn't have the time to fool with it.  Guess if there really isn't money ridding it kinda gets put on the back burner.  As for Urban Meyer at OSU don't see that happening unless of course the deal it just too good not to.  Seen many coaches take jobs at schools schools where they knew they weren't gonna last Notre Dame not to mention any names just for the cash.  Don't see it happening but several million being waved under your nose can make it really hard to walk away from.  Butch Davis would be a better fit for OSU I think.  Worked wonders at Miami and UNC. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 01:01:31 am »
Thank the good Lord that the Wolverines FINALLY beat those dang Buckeyes after 7 agonizing long years.  Jim Tressel had our number.  Maybe we can start a new winning streak against Urban Meyer :-D

So it’s MSU vs Wisconsin in the first Big 10 title game.  That should be a great re-match.  For those that don’t recall, MSU beat Wisconsin at the buzzer on a Hail Mary play in East Lansing in the regular season.  It was a very evenly matched game despite everyone’s assumption that the Badgers would blow out the Spartans.  No question these two teams are the best in the Big 10 right now.  

I’m going to give the edge to the Badgers in the re-match.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 12:24:27 pm »
The Spartans seemed to be on the receiving end of many "hometown" calls against Michigan and Wisconsin.  Shades of the phantom Charles White USC touchdown against Wisconsin and a very chippy game against the Wolverines.  Anybody who blatantly punches or kicks needs to be ejected.

Kudos to Brady Hoke for showing what (mostly the same) kids can do with some decent coaching, not to mention demonstrating the contrast to how pathetic RR was (still is, no doubt).  Somebody loses every game, the difference being if you get beat by a better team, or just plain suck.  I grew up in Ann Arbor, played Sunday morning pick-up games at the Big House, bleed maize and blue, and yet I turned last years bowl game off after the first quarter because it was too ugly to watch.  A first for me.

Kudos to Mattison too.  Second half adjustments were obiously lacking the last three years and obviously present this year.  Special teams too!  Gibbons had a solid year kicking, and I like Gallon a lot.  Could be faster, but good hands and head.

As Hoke stated in the post game interview when asked about the ten wins, "it's all about the kids".  I think he "gets it", and I feel bad for the kids at AZ.

I'd like to see the Badgers win too.

M-Go Blue!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 12:33:06 am »
Sundog I hear you about last year’s Bowl game; it was sickening.  I had to turn the TV off too.  Everybody here including the Michigan AD thought Rich Rod FINALLY had a team that could at least compete by last year’s bowl game.  A team that was moving forward.  That blowout removed any question about keeping RR for another year.  It is truly amazing how Hoke and Mattison turned the program around so quickly.  Hoke seems like a truly nice guy, very much like Lloyd Carr.  Calm and collected.  RR definitely had a temper which wasn’t very appealing.

Spartan’s can play really good ball when senior QB Cousins is having a good day.  When Cousins is not having a good day, they look more like the bumbling Spartans of old. 

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 09:53:05 am »
...  Shades of the phantom Charles White USC touchdown against Wisconsin ...
Being the UM fan you are, I'm sure this was just a momentary brain cramp. The phantom TD was against Michigan in the '79 Rose Bowl.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 10:40:16 pm »
Gotta read the whole sentence to understand the content...

The subject in the sentence is the MSU "phantom" touchdown in the Wiscy game. That being being the "shades of" the phanton CW touchdown.  But your memory (or Google skills) are good.  I don't remember the year, but I sure remember the play.

RR definitely had a temper which wasn't very appealing. 

Apparently he never realized the the camera would be on him either, or maybe he did.  I never understood how anybody could think of him and his behavior as a good fit at Meechigan.  So glad to be moving on!  Shame he can't take his pityful records with him.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »
That seemed to be sore point between RR and the media around here.  He was never considered a “Michigan man”.  He sure had a temper for our ex QB Forcier who ended up down in Florida somewhere to play.  Miami?  I don’t recall.  

However in his local media interviews, RR certainly did have a good sense of humor.  I can remember a particularly comical exchange on TV when a reporter asked him why his kickers couldn’t get anything through the up rights last season.  He did come across as mean spirited on game day, but he was much different the rest of the week (at least on local TV).  

I’m REALLY glad we now have Hoke, but I also wish RR well in AZ.  

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 03:46:02 pm »
Well, its official, Urban Meyer is bringing the Tim Tebow show to Columbus!

How do you think he’ll do?  A top coach from the mighty SEC coming into the oft called weak Big 10 conference?  Should we expect the Bucks to easily win the Big 10 every year?

I think Meyer, being a native of Ohio, is a great fit, but I would rather have Tressel if I bleed Scarlet and Gray.  There is no way Meyer is going to dominate the Wolverines like Tressel did!

anything