Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "The Very Best Honey"  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
"The Very Best Honey"
« on: August 24, 2023, 11:30:38 pm »
Beekeepers; in your opinion, what is the very best honey you have ever tasted or produced? Examples: Cotton, Clover, Orange Blossom, Sourwood, etc......
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: "The Very Best Honey"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 05:27:31 am »
Orange Blossom
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 08:08:11 am »
Hard to say exactly.  They are different but not necessarily better.  But if I were to rank them:

Sourwood
Tupelo
Thyme
Eucalyptus
Orange blossom
Black Locust
Basswood
Sumac

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 08:26:05 am »
Best honey I ever tasted was the the first honey I ever got off my bees........

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 08:36:17 am »
mine
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 08:55:56 am »
Mine also.  :smile:
When I had my bees at my Jacksonville house, they made a mixed floral honey that is the best that I have ever had.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 03:50:44 pm »
Honey is a bit like wine. There is so much variety in the flavours available. And like wine, it comes down to a personal choice. As beekeepers our taste buds tend to be dominated by the flavours of our own honey which tends to create a bias towards what we produce. This is a good thing as others who sample our produce can also get wrapped up in the passion and pride that we show. My favourite honey is a piece of fresh comb just removed from a hive. Warm, oozing in freshness with sticky stuff running down you arms takes a bit of beating.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 08:30:02 am »
Mine also.  :smile:
When I had my bees at my Jacksonville house, they made a mixed floral honey that is the best that I have ever had.
Jim Altmiller
And that is what mine was.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 01:18:56 pm »
Honey is a bit like wine. There is so much variety in the flavours available. And like wine, it comes down to a personal choice. As beekeepers our taste buds tend to be dominated by the flavours of our own honey which tends to create a bias towards what we produce. This is a good thing as others who sample our produce can also get wrapped up in the passion and pride that we show. My favourite honey is a piece of fresh comb just removed from a hive. Warm, oozing in freshness with sticky stuff running down you arms takes a bit of beating.
I think the more we can treat honey like wine, in the sense that variety and regional flavors are a selling point, the better.  Many consumers are only aware of that large batch, pasteurized, probably adulterated stuff on the grocery store shelves.  Everyone knows the stigma surrounding "grocery store wine", but honey is really the same way.  You haven't tasted real honey until you have tasted your own honey, or at least honey from a local beekeeper.   

Beekeepers; in your opinion, what is the very best honey you have ever tasted or produced? Examples: Cotton, Clover, Orange Blossom, Sourwood, etc......
By the way, the correct answer is sourwood.  :wink: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 04:46:53 pm »
The15thMemeber
"You haven't tasted real honey until you have tasted your own honey, or at least honey from a local beekeeper."  

True!

Ben Framed
"what is the very best honey you have ever tasted or produced?"

The15thMember
"By the way, the correct answer is sourwood.  :wink: :cheesy:

:grin: Thanks for your answer..
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 12:34:58 am »
Since I crush and strain, I tend to get a lot of pollen in my honey, so it is murky and opaque. I suppose that greatly effects the taste.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2023, 12:39:51 am »
Since I crush and strain, I tend to get a lot of pollen in my honey, so it is murky and opaque. I suppose that greatly effects the taste.

Is it a taste that is good to you Bob? From my understanding pollen is LOADED with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. You may be on it!!! 

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 06:45:21 am »
Sourwood: Twangy.   You can feel it dancing pleasantly on your tastebuds.  A symphony of flavors all at once.  Like a distorted guitar is a fat sound to your ears, this is a fuzzy, fat taste.  I wakes up all of your tastebuds, not just a few in a well balanced way focused on sweet but with everything else nicely blended in.
Tupelo: fruity and nice with only a touch of spice and a very smooth buttery finish
Thyme: a bit of twang, kind of like sourwood in having a twang but quite a different twang.  Kind of peppery.
Eucalyptus:  still some twang, but less than thyme or sourwood.  menthol and caramel
Orange blossom:  very pleasant floral taste and smell
Black Locust: Smooth.  No aftertaste.  a little bit of vanilla
Basswood:  light taste of mint in the background.
Sumac: slightly tart with a light caramel flavor
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 08:52:53 pm »
I wonder what eucalyptus tree you are talking about Michael. With over 700 species of euc?s, the choice is endless. Quite a few of them produce nectar and many are also good suppliers of pollen. Even in my small area, eight of them produce a major flow and there are many others that still contribute to the honey supply. Each honey has different characteristics and flavours.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 06:00:26 am »
I only know it was Eucalyptus sent to me by an Australian guy.  It was quite nice.
-------------------

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2023, 07:45:06 am »
Lindy trees.
 Basswood trees

BEE HAPPY  Jim134  😊
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything