Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How is the flow situation in your area?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
How is the flow situation in your area?
« on: July 20, 2023, 04:02:47 pm »
In my location it appears that the dearth is in full swing. How is the flow situation in your area?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: How is the flow situation in your area?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 06:51:59 pm »
I've got sourwood coming in right now.  Seems like it will be a good year, although it's too early to know if it will be spectacular or not. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 07:27:59 pm »
We are typically in a dearth around now and judging how fast they cleaned up the cappings I set out, we are there.  Although, this year the farmers planted about 120 acres of pumpkins that are starting to bloom.  I don't know how much the bees will get from it but, I know someone that will have pumpkins for decoration this year.  :wink:

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 07:00:19 pm »
Dearth is here as well, summer heat has set in and is relentless. I set out the wax from my crush and strain last weekend along with all the utensils and bowls. The bees cleaned up the gear in no time, no sticky residue left.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 12:31:10 am »
Bone dry.  There are a few weeds blooming after a sprinkle the other day, but that's it.  Everyone is feeding everything they own from bees to livestock. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 01:52:56 am »
Though we are getting a goodly amount of rain. The time of flow has fizzled out in my location. Now I'm not speaking of the farm crops of soybeans and cotton..  I don't have bees on those 'bonus' crops.  Do we have beekeepers here that do?

Phillip

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 11:20:40 pm »
Dearth since mid June in Middle Georgia, although sporadic rain has kept everything fresh and green.
People plant a lot of crepe myrtle around here. Lots of flowers on them this time of year, but not worth much to the honey bees.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 11:37:01 pm »
Dearth since mid June in Middle Georgia, although sporadic rain has kept everything fresh and green.
People plant a lot of crepe myrtle around here. Lots of flowers on them this time of year, but not worth much to the honey bees.

Bob when I first began I was hoping crepe myrtles would be a tag along, but I have found out you are right in your statement concerning them...

Phillip

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 04:49:39 pm »
I commiserate with you.
However, there is a dwarf crepe myrtle I saw honey bees working one August several years ago at our local middle school.
I might stop by there again to see if it supplies some kind of pollen perhaps.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 05:20:06 pm »
I commiserate with you.
However, there is a dwarf crepe myrtle I saw honey bees working one August several years ago at our local middle school.
I might stop by there again to see if it supplies some kind of pollen perhaps.

Let us know if the bees are on it again. That is interesting.

Phillip

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
Our bee inspector used to complain that Crepe Myrtle made terrible honey. Told us that at our club for years. Then his boss came and did a speech on honey plants. He told us that Crepe Myrtle does not have nectaries. So much for Terrible tasting Crepe Myrtle honey. Bees do collect pollen from it.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 01:19:10 pm by BeeMaster2 »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 06:14:49 am »
Petering out but not a complete dearth.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 10:19:20 am »
The sourwood flow is basically over, although there are still some blossoms on the trees, but the bees have stopped drawing.  There is a smattering of nectar coming in from garden and landscaping flowers, and I have pollen coming in all year round. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2023, 10:59:33 am »
I have notice a few buzzing around our hibiscus plants (to no avail of course)...

Phillip