Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Metal cone bee escapes  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Pazuzu

• New Bee
Metal cone bee escapes
« on: May 09, 2021, 10:37:18 pm »
Hi I?m chasing metal cone bee escapes. I only found plastic ones. Do they exist?
Similar to these:
https://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbHcSpZ9eOPHrdKrYbrjYbGpQjnV8G6RlXGprqoEx7Zz2KEa_1

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Re: Metal cone bee escapes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 11:29:27 pm »
I would suggest fashioning one out of #8 hardware cloth.  That allows you greater flexibility in affixing it to whatever structure you need as the hardware cloth will conform/bend to almost any shape and it's like going to be considerably cheaper.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 02:24:19 am »
Way back whenever back then, when first experimenting with cones as bee one-way systems (bee escapes) we used pastry decorating cones.  Those were the only thing we could fine at the time that was remotely in the size needed.
Nowadays, plastic cones are easy to find, easy to work with, and cheap to buy by the 100s.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Pazuzu

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 03:31:14 am »
Yeah was considering making some DIY ones. Pastry decorating cones, I think my mum had some but I think they won?t have a flange so they can be fixed.

I had plastic ones and within a year they perished in the sun.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 10:41:02 am »
Did you leave them out in the sun for a year?  Yeah, they would sun-rot.
I use it with a shim between the honey frames and the lower box.  Keeps things nice and dark, the way they like it. 
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 08:49:50 am »
I had plastic ones and within a year they perished in the sun.
Why were they exposed to the sun?  Just so you know I have PVC fencing on my property that is maybe 20 years old exposed to Florida's sun still in great shape.  It is not that the escapes are plastic it is because they are not meant to be in the sun in use.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it