Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quite an experience.  (Read 3369 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Quite an experience.
« on: May 01, 2021, 02:09:51 am »
Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday concerning a swarm. I had a swarm very high on an oak limb. Using a 10 foot step ladder, a 16 foot pool extension pole and bee vac hose attached to that, along with my reach of at least 7 or more feet with my arms extended with the pole in hand above my head, the swarm was still too high, it was still 10 -15 feet out of reach. So what did I do? I retrieved the bow fishing outfit equipped with a blunt special (made by me) tip. I tied the heavy duty, (thin trot line) string to the tip of the arrow with a slip knot on the tip shank, then screwed it into the shaft. Made a perfect shot over the high reaching limb. Attaching a tree climbing arborist rope to the end of the hanging string, then pulled the rope into place. Next placed a king size bed sheet in the prospected (landing area along with a nuc box equipped with drawn out frames. This usually will work in most cases. However, when the limb was shaken the bulk of the bees were already back in flight by the time they reached the ground because of the extra height. (If I could have saturated the swarm with half and half sugar water spray that surely would have helped solve this problem but accomplishing this was a unresolvable problem within itself). Yes, many did make it back to earth when shook but not enough to make a real difference and of the ones which did make it to earth and moved in the box did not stay long, rejoining their friends on the upper limb. I tried this several times throughout the day with no success. So; I decided to wait until dark or near dark, hoping the bees would land on the sheet, not fly back up in the dark, and make there way into the baited nuc box.

Everything went as planned. The bulk of the bees did indeed make it to earth this time in the twilight time of day! Everything was looking good! The deprived 4/5 light of day march was on! Man, I was thinking to myself, I'm on to something!   :happy:

I noticed there were small groups of bees that were stubbornly not moving toward the nuc box, though the biggest majority was inside, or in the process of heading inside! So from time to time, I would go back out and move the whole box to the small groups, one at a time. Yes they were loading up each time! So far so good! Finally, most of the bees were inside! Awesome!

Well: This morning there was maybe 3 bees in the box when I checked and no swarm to be found. O well, we win some and we lose some. Thus another experience of a 3 year beekeeper lol. Can't win them all I suppose.    :cheesy: :wink:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Quite an experience.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 05:21:48 am »
Have achieve a similar result, but used a 12g shotgun to shoot through the branch behind the swarm.
The plus was that i had the branch that had all the bees smell on it.

Also did one the same way as you and the first shake the bees went straight back to where they were originally.
So once the regathered a bigger yank on the rope dislodged almost all of the bees. All going well, box covered in bees, I have bees all over me but all of a sudden i have bees landing on me, my shirt is getting heavy and my hat is about 2" thick in bees.
I then realize that i have the queen on me, so i go to the box and dump my hat in the box, and every body followed. Successful capture.
I have a picture of it and will try to post it if my computer skills will allow it.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 05:32:13 am »
See if this works

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:24:02 am »
1. Ben. I can't believe you went to that all that effort to try to get that swarm...and stopped short at chopping the tree down.   :wink:

2. Walt. Nice to associate a face to your name. Wonderful photo. It gives new meaning to the term beekeeper.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:41:02 am by Bob Wilson »

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 08:30:12 am »
Now I know what a "hat trick" is.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 09:23:25 am »
Bad luck it happens. Wonder if you gave them some open brood if they would?ve stuck? 

Love that pic Beav.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 09:33:18 am »
See if this works
Not one bee in your beard???
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:10:47 am »
Great stories - both. Dedication, and determination - cause no end of new experiences.  :grin: great picture!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 11:32:23 am »
Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday concerning a swarm. I had a swarm very high on an oak limb. Using a 10 foot step ladder, a 16 foot pool extension pole and bee vac hose attached to that, along with my reach of at least 7 or more feet with my arms extended with the pole in hand above my head, the swarm was still too high, it was still 10 -15 feet out of reach. So what did I do? I retrieved the bow fishing outfit equipped with a blunt special (made by me) tip. I tied the heavy duty, (thin trot line) string to the tip of the arrow with a slip knot on the tip shank, then screwed it into the shaft. Made a perfect shot over the high reaching limb. Attaching a tree climbing arborist rope to the end of the hanging string, then pulled the rope into place. Next placed a king size bed sheet in the prospected (landing area along with a nuc box equipped with drawn out frames. This usually will work in most cases. However, when the limb was shaken the bulk of the bees were already back in flight by the time they reached the ground because of the extra height. (If I could have saturated the swarm with half and half sugar water spray that surely would have helped solve this problem but accomplishing this was a unresolvable problem within itself). Yes, many did make it back to earth when shook but not enough to make a real difference and of the ones which did make it to earth and moved in the box did not stay long, rejoining their friends on the upper limb. I tried this several times throughout the day with no success. So; I decided to wait until dark or near dark, hoping the bees would land on the sheet, not fly back up in the dark, and make there way into the baited nuc box.

Everything went as planned. The bulk of the bees did indeed make it to earth this time in the twilight time of day! Everything was looking good! The deprived 4/5 light of day march was on! Man, I was thinking to myself, I'm on to something!   :happy:

I noticed there were small groups of bees that were stubbornly not moving toward the nuc box, though the biggest majority was inside, or in the process of heading inside! So from time to time, I would go back out and move the whole box to the small groups, one at a time. Yes they were loading up each time! So far so good! Finally, most of the bees were inside! Awesome!

Well: This morning there was maybe 3 bees in the box when I checked and no swarm to be found. O well, we win some and we lose some. Thus another experience of a 3 year beekeeper lol. Can't win them all I suppose.    :cheesy: :wink:
Wait, wait, wait, STOP!  You bow fish??!!  Who does that?!  That is so cool! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 12:08:45 pm »
> 1. Ben. I can't believe you went to that all that effort to try to get that swarm...and stopped short at chopping the tree down.   :wink:

Well it?s funny you said that. I could not get the saw to crank!!!   :shocked: :cheesy: LOL j/k

> Wait, wait, wait, STOP!  You bow fish??!!  Who does that?!  That is so cool!

I bought it for that intention but soon realized it was also a great tool for placing arborist rope in high up limbs for climbing!

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 12:18:24 pm »

I bought it for that intention but soon realized it was also a great tool for placing arborist rope in high up limbs for climbing!

Oh, so you don't necessarily bow fish, but you climb trees??!!  As if that's any less impressive!  Since when do you have all these weird skills?!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 12:20:52 pm »
Well it?s funny you said that. I could not get the saw to crank!!!   :shocked:

The Axe Ben, the Axe. ... your slipping.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 12:23:20 pm »

Oh, so you don't necessarily bow fish, but you climb trees??!!  As if that's any less impressive!  Since when do you have all these weird skills?!  :cheesy:

The definition of a country boy: Buys Bow fishing equipment - climbs trees with it. My kind of peeps right there!  :cheesy: :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 12:59:01 pm »

Well you know Member, a two part use is icing on the cake 🎂 lol. The skills just evolved I guess 😂 might as well have a little fun and eat well when having it. lol.  Ever have bird nest soup?  :shocked: :cheesy: :wink:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 01:02:06 pm »

The definition of a country boy: Buys Bow fishing equipment - climbs trees with it. My kind of peeps right there!  :cheesy: :grin:

Thanks Alan, come on down and I will show you a few more tricks. From one CB to another, I bet you have a few up your sleeve you could teach me as well!    :cool: :grin:

PS but leave your ax at home we can use the husqvarnas...... :grin:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:28:14 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 03:14:20 pm »

Wait, wait, wait, STOP!  You bow fish??!!  Who does that?!  That is so cool!
I bow fish a lot. I?ll start about end of May. Then go up till last of September.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 03:29:44 pm »
I bow fish a lot. I?ll start about end of May. Then go up till last of September.
That is rad!  Bow fishing is so cool.  It just seems so primeval.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 06:16:16 pm »
Saw a lot of bow fishing done up north for carp. There was a man made lake near my house and some of the carp taken out of there must of weighed 50 pounds.
  My last swarm was about 25 feet up in a tree and the good old bucket on a pole worked well on it although the first try dumped about 400 bees on my head and I wasn't wearing any veil. Didn't get stung but got off that ladder real fast. When I boxed the swarm I slipped a queen excluder between the super and the bottom board and left it there for two days. So far that swarm is doing great, just moved it into a double deep.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 06:25:43 pm »
I bow fished back in the 70's when living along the Mississippi in Illinois. All the bottom lands flooded each spring when the ice broke and dammed up the river. The carp were plentiful.

As for a high swarm, I use the bow to get a rope over a limb and heft a hive up to the swarm with a frame of brood.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 07:50:07 pm »
I bow fished back in the 70's when living along the Mississippi in Illinois. All the bottom lands flooded each spring when the ice broke and dammed up the river. The carp were plentiful.

As for a high swarm, I use the bow to get a rope over a limb and heft a hive up to the swarm with a frame of brood.

Now that is how it's done! I appreciate the information..... 

When the River is up here, you can find the catfish passing across the gravel trails flowing with the current. The water can be a few feet deep off the road trails but when timed right, shallow as it goes over these trails, making a excellent
(fish stand) area... Fun fun fun....... Some of these cats are HUGE...... And no Alen, not house cats. lol.....

Ben - any other red meat can be substituted: deer, goat (including Speed Goats [antelope]), mutton, house cat, etc ... even the lowly cow (yuck!!) ... I forgot rabbits, definitely rabbits.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

15th - wild boar are extremely dangerous. They will read the person & are very intelligent. If they think they can get away with it, they'll take a person down very quickly. And you don't get up. ... there was a country bar, right near my favorite boar hunting area, that we used to go to back in my military days. The walls of the bar were papered with photographs of humans who had been attacked by pigs in the local area. 1000's of pictures, dating back to the '60's. Most pics were leg wounds. Some just showed human remains ... today the bar is gone. It's a polite country store now. Wish the bar was still there. It was a sobering reminder of what we'd be facing the next day.

[/quote]

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:59:11 pm by Ben Framed »