Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chiggers....Wearing me out!  (Read 6586 times)

Moots

Chiggers....Wearing me out!
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »
Ok,
I've tried ignoring them and just putting up with the bites.  However, enough is enough, I refuse to tolerate the abuse any longer, something must be done about the chiggers feasting on my lower legs on an ongoing daily basis.  :)  I cut the grass the other day around my hives hoping this would help, so far it doesn't seem to have made a difference.  :(

I think my current strategy moving forward is going to be a two prong approach....

1)  Make it a habit to spray my boots, socks, and lower legs with off before venturing into the bee yard to check on the bees.

2)  Spread some Diatomacious Earth around my hives.

Any other advice for dealing with these critters would be deeply appreciated...Bee stings are nothing compared to these things, the itching is driving me CRAZY! 

Offline RC

• House Bee
Re: Chiggers....Wearing me out!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »
The only advise I can give is to try to outlive them. Other than that, rub turpentine on the bites. It seems to help.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:49 pm »
Used to you could put some Pine Orum on them, but haven't seen any any years,Pine orum.  Haven't been picking Huckle Berries in a while either, that's one of the places I used to get em.  Good luck with your new friends.

Joe

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:47:23 pm »
I think seed ticks are just about as bad. I got a dose the other day. I usually use deep woods off. why it got by me that day I don't know. :) d2

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:49:59 pm »
If you're talking about "redbugs" aka chiggers, I use skin so soft by Avon. Works great! If you're sweating a lot just remember every couple of hours put some more on. I pour it in a very small spray bottle and spray/rub it on. Keeps mosquitos off as well. Been doing it for years.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:40 pm »
Don't know why she ain't got no more. I used it a few years back. :) d2

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:20 pm »
Those things are without a doubt the most miserable little buggers to ever roam the earth.  I feel ya Moots!  I'd take bee stings any day.  I'm religious with the bug spray.  Keeping the grass mowed back will help.  Anyone that gets a good dose of those rascals definitely knows it!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:15:41 pm »
Just rub some poison ivy on the skin from the knees up. You will never notice that the chiggers are even there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:26:22 pm »
Paint a small circle of fingernail polish on the red spots...suffocates 'em. They'll be gone in a day. I though everyone does this. Or there's a product out called either "chig-a-rid" or "rid-a-chig" that's basically polish but more $.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:28 pm »
Just rub some poison ivy on the skin from the knees up. You will never notice that the chiggers are even there.

Now Iddee....are you absolutely certain about that?  :-D
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Moots

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 10:58:08 pm »
Scott,
I have and use Chigarid...would have knawed my foot off at the ankle by now if not for it.  :laugh:

I've also heard about the finger nail polish...My understanding is that the chigger is actually long gone, however I think the sealing action keeps out the oxygen and therefore helps with the itching.

Thanks all for the input, with the possible exception of iddee,  ;)  :laugh:

I'll keep y'all posted on the battle.

Offline Gametracker

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:55 am »

iddee you're bad!  :evil:  I'm surprised that you didn't tell them to rub the ivy vigorously about the groin!  That will definitely change the perspective on what's bad!   :shock:

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 02:28:45 am »
It sounds like you're wearing shorts.  But if you don't mind or can wear pants then you can use gaiters that will seal your ankles up and are chigger (and everything else) tight.  I have a pair from Outdoor Research and they are great.

Old Blue
Paranormal taxation with no representation in .............
Kali-bone-ya

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 10:37:00 am »
After a few thousand chigger bites you'll get used to them also.

Best thing to do for them is to roll around on the ground till you get all bit up and get your immunity built up.

Don

Moots

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 10:47:36 am »
After a few thousand chigger bites you'll get used to them also.

Best thing to do for them is to roll around on the ground till you get all bit up and get your immunity built up.

Don

Don and iddee,
WOW!  Such knowledge, wisdom, and good advice....And to think y'all are willing to share this wealth of experience totally selflessly while asking for and expecting nothing in return, other than the personal satisfaction of knowing you have helped a fellow Beek!  Your kindness truly is impressive, the forum is very fortunate to have the two of you as members!  :-D

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 11:09:10 am »
we used to powder our boots with sulphur every morning.  that stops them.  i would think you could dust the ground around your hives with it and get the same results. 
i grew up in the south and have battled them all my life but the worst cases i've had as an adult were in iowa and south dakota.  we just think we have it bad down here.
my place in georgia is red bug, tick and so far mosquito free.  but i've never seen so many gnats in my life.  they get in your eyes, ears, mouth, nose.  they're generally annoying and i have never found anything that will repel them. 
the red bugs do suck, though.  wait til you find a few on your dangling parts.  that's really special on a hot humid day.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 12:34:19 pm »
Years ago after a day of hunting here in Florida, I was really tore up by red bugs. Went to the Dr. and he said I had chicken pocks. He sent me home for 2 weeks even after I insisted they were red bugs. Even verified it on the second visit 2 days later. I think it was help from above because I need this time to rebuild my bathroom, widen the door and re- enforce the wall, to put in lift system for my wife to be able to handle my handicapped son while I was out to sea (Navy). Things like this happen for a reason.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:45:06 pm »
Years ago after a day of hunting here in Florida, I was really tore up by red bugs. Went to the Dr. and he said I had chicken pocks. He sent me home for 2 weeks even after I insisted they were red bugs. Even verified it on the second visit 2 days later. I think it was help from above because I need this time to rebuild my bathroom, widen the door and re- enforce the wall, to put in lift system for my wife to be able to handle my handicapped son while I was out to sea (Navy). Things like this happen for a reason.
Jim

Jim....LOL!
That's a classic!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »
yeah, Moots. We only do it because we like you. You're special.

:lau: :lau: :lau:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 01:18:55 pm »
We got chiggers and seed ticks here in Central Arkansas
I spray my ankles and socks with Repel every mawn'n.
That took care of my chigger problems.
But if you forget to put it on every day they'll remind you to next time.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »
while the nail polish does seem to help the suffocation part is a wive's tale. the mo. conservation magazine did a write-up a few years ago about them. the chigger is NOT burrowed into your skin. what you are dealing with is a reaction to the bite only

Moots

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 03:10:33 pm »
We got chiggers and seed ticks here in Central Arkansas
I spray my ankles and socks with Repel every mawn'n.
That took care of my chigger problems.
But if you forget to put it on every day they'll remind you to next time.

Capt.
Yeah, I'm thinking that'll do the trick....at least I hope so.  :)

The downside is that'll work fine for when I'm going out there to really work my bees.  However, being a newbie, I really love just swinging by the hives when I have 5 or 10 minutes to spare just to watch for a while, maybe on my lunch hour, or just after work.  Now if I've got to spray myself down every time, that's a less appealing option.  :(

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 05:47:17 pm »

Don and iddee,
WOW!  Such knowledge, wisdom, and good advice....And to think y'all are willing to share this wealth of experience totally selflessly while asking for and expecting nothing in return, other than the personal satisfaction of knowing you have helped a fellow Beek!  Your kindness truly is impressive, the forum is very fortunate to have the two of you as members!  :-D

Aw shucks your welcome, glad to help. Say if you want to, schawee's given me some good help over the years, buy him a shake for me if you see him.

Don

Moots

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »

Aw shucks your welcome, glad to help. Say if you want to, schawee's given me some good help over the years, buy him a shake for me if you see him.

Don

Don,
I actually talked to Schawee this morning!   :)  I had a couple of swarms at a local park that I really couldn't break away from work to mess with, I wanted to pass them on to him.  Unfortunately, he's still a little down and out from his knee replacement surgery.  If the opportunity presents itself, I'll certainly get him that shake, he's helped me out on more than a few occasions.  :)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:36 pm »
another thing, if you realize you've been exposed and didn't have any protection on.., take a hot shower. Hot as you can tolerate. We can take hot water that will kill the insects.

I'm still a S.O.S. fan. As most folks know, when you get engaged with a energy demanding project in the summer time, around here your clothing will soak through from sweat. Even your shoes will be wet. That's why I recommended putting it on a couple of times. A hot shower is a good backup plan tho.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

If I did that I'd be in the hospital. :)

Or dead!
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »
spraying up with deep wood off before wandering out will help the most.  Do not forget though that chiggers are soft bodied critters that do not latch on like ticks do.  AFTER being outside rub your legs and exposed areas.  The chiggers will simply fall off.  Do it in a shower and send them down the drain.

Also, put wart remover on a bite spot as SOON as it starts itching/reacting.  Keep it on for a few minutes only.  For some reason it clears everything up.
Make Mead!

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
    • Orlando Bee Removal Expert
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »
another thing, if you realize you've been exposed and didn't have any protection on.., take a hot shower. Hot as you can tolerate. We can take hot water that will kill the insects.

I'm still a S.O.S. fan. As most folks know, when you get engaged with a energy demanding project in the summer time, around here your clothing will soak through from sweat. Even your shoes will be wet. That's why I recommended putting it on a couple of times. A hot shower is a good backup plan tho.

The heat destroys the histamine. The hotter the better. Last for about 4 hours. Hair dryer works best!
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline itsme

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 04:17:09 pm »
Yeah, that poison Ivy trick really works!  Just kidding.  It was kinda funny though.

You all have to know more than me about it but I have heard that Diatomacious Earth kills bees if they get into it.  I would be interested in hearing thoughts on that from people on this list.

You do know that if you periodically rub your legs, waist, etc. you can kill the chiggers before they do any damage, right?  It's worth a try if you don't like wearing pesticides.  ;-)  Another thing to do is tuck your pants into your socks or some other such thing to create a barrier (although this is better with ticks).

I've tried the skin so soft and it works too, at least for some bugs like mosquitos.  I'm not sure about chiggers.  It's greasy though.

Good Luck!

Moots

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 05:16:56 pm »
Yeah, that poison Ivy trick really works!  Just kidding.  It was kinda funny though.

You all have to know more than me about it but I have heard that Diatomacious Earth kills bees if they get into it.  I would be interested in hearing thoughts on that from people on this list.

itsme,
Yeah, that iddee is a regular barrel of laughs sometimes.  :laugh:

As for the Diatomacious Earth, I bought some and did one application around my hives. Haven't noticed any negative affect on the bees. I do know that the guy at the store suggested using it when I told him it was for around my bee hives, and he's pretty knowledgeable.   Also, I've seen the fat bee man in one of his youtube videos suggesting its use around hives to combat SHB's.

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »
I concur with capt44. Never go outside in Georgia from mid spring to mid fall without spraying deep woods off  on my socks. Also put it on just before inspecting my hives to keep bees running up the inside of pant legs.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Moots

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 11:43:39 pm »
I concur with capt44. Never go outside in Georgia from mid spring to mid fall without spraying deep woods off  on my socks. Also put it on just before inspecting my hives to keep bees running up the inside of pant legs.

hiram,
Agreed, I took the Capt's advice and started spraying my boots, socks and bottom of my pants legs with Off.  Works like a charm, hadn't had an issue since I started that practice weeks ago.  :)

Didn't mention it in my earlier post b/c I was on the iPhone and typing with the thumbs, so was trying to keep it short.  :-D

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:25 am »
Dang it, Moots; I don't need to hear that something as simple as bug repellant works! I need an excuse to go buy these:

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Moots

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08:03 am »
Dang it, Moots; I don't need to hear that something as simple as bug repellant works! I need an excuse to go buy these:

JPinMO,
I say go for it.   :-D

What is it with women and their love of footwear anyway?  :?

However, as my friends and I always say....if you want something bad enough, you can rationalize anything.   :laugh:

After all, I'm a first year Beek that has managed to justify, in my mind, the need for a motorized extractor and a truck. :lau:

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 12:54:27 pm »

After all, I'm a first year Beek that has managed to justify, in my mind, the need for a motorized extractor and a truck. :lau:

I need to show my wife this post.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:52 pm »
JPinMO,
I say go for it.   :-D

What is it with women and their love of footwear anyway?  :?

Actually, I hate shoe shopping; I apparently have plantar fasciitis, and even good supportive sneakers keep me comfortable for only an hour.  :(
I really started thinking about a pair of muck boots after working at an auction in several inches of mud this spring, and found these at my local farm & home. (where we can grab a box of foundation)

Even though we just bought a home two years ago, I have wondered about buying a little land outside of town so we can have a "Bee Farm." Then maybe we could have some write-offs like a truck, maybe a computer and printer (for honey labels, of course), internet service (must advertise and keep in touch with customers).... :lau: :lau: :lau:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:04:37 am by JPinMO »
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein