Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive direction  (Read 9770 times)

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
Hive direction
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:48:46 pm »
Which direction should a hive face?  Thanks.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hive direction
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:14 pm »
Preferably south to east, or somewhere in between, but commercial beeks have 4 hives on a pallet, with two facing opposite the other two. All of them can't face south or east.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:47:21 pm »
I'm with Iddee.  I face my tipi the same as well.  South or East.  First, it catches the sun, second it puts the back to the prevailing winds.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »
Thank-you!

Offline stonecroppefarm

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:08:23 am »
I am a new beek so don't take this too seriously. ... In the summer I would tend to face the entrance away from the midday sun. To heat the hive early morning I would face the largest side of the hive towards the southeast to absorb some early morning sun to get the bees started. Following that I would not want to heat the bottom board entrance by having the front face the sun during the day. not only will the bottom board get hot but this will draw into the hive very warm air as it vents through the hive up through the top cover. I think we are talking 90 to 100 deg air on a day with 80deg in the shade. I just made this up so I would appreciate feedback before I orient my new hives.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 01:13:01 am »
I agree with Iddee and MB on direction of the hive. I have several  hives in the open (no shade) and it gets over 100 deg. in the summer here in SW. Mo. I have went to screenbottom boards and a top entrance year round and don't have the bearding in the hot summer like i use to,also the shb don't like full sun. :buttkick: Jack

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:06:19 am »
I have hives facing every direction depending on the circumstances, but all things being equal, I go for South or East...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:34:02 am »
I think we are talking 90 to 100 deg air on a day with 80deg in the shade.

The theory is to get the front of the hive warmed up as soon as possible to make the longest work day for the bees.  Light in the entrance may also have an affect.  Heat is not a problem if you have ventilation.  Light colored hives will reflect a lot of sun energy.  I think part of the reason for the tar paper wrap up north is to absorbe some heat in the winter months.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:04:40 am »
Due to global warming the old techniques of beekeeping are not so relevant. Recently on Ebay I found some small watch band compasses and bought a whole gross of them. I glue one to the top of each hive and now have a method of orienting the hives to the sun as it progresses from southern latitudes to northern latitudes over the course of the spring and summer. I have timed the bees working day and have found an average increase of 4 seconds a day as I turn the hive to face the full sun. You can purchase a copy of Bowditch's American Practical Navigator and have the math and tables at hand to calculate the exact sun declination at your latitude each day so that you can properly orient your hives each morning before sunrise and maximize your bees workday. More honey = more profit! You guys have too much time on your hands! :-D

Offline brooksbeefarm

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:08:58 am »
Acebird, i agree.But location i think is important with the tarpaper wrap,many hives have been lost here in SW. Mo., it gives the bees a false reading on the outside temp. and they fly out into snow and freezing weather. :shock: Jack

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 03:08:19 pm »
Due to global warming the old techniques of beekeeping are not so relevant. Recently on Ebay I found some small watch band compasses and bought a whole gross of them. I glue one to the top of each hive and now have a method of orienting the hives to the sun as it progresses from southern latitudes to northern latitudes over the course of the spring and summer. I have timed the bees working day and have found an average increase of 4 seconds a day as I turn the hive to face the full sun. You can purchase a copy of Bowditch's American Practical Navigator and have the math and tables at hand to calculate the exact sun declination at your latitude each day so that you can properly orient your hives each morning before sunrise and maximize your bees workday. More honey = more profit! You guys have too much time on your hands! :-D

dang it has been a long winter hehehe may try that his year since i'd love to move my hives everyday  :-D
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »
and they fly out into snow and freezing weather.

I am a newbee but it doesn't seem as though tar paper would fool the bees.  It is not like they rev up at the end of a run way for take off.  Our club has an observation hive inside a building that is 68-72 degrees all year long and in the winter it can get -20 or so outside.  We are not short on snow either.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »

dang it has been a long winter hehehe may try that his year since i'd love to move my hives everyday  :-D

Try placing the hive on a lazy susan and wiring it to a sunflower head. Takes the work out of it.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:53:37 pm »
Due to global warming the old techniques of beekeeping are not so relevant.
We just had the snowiest February on record here in Michigan.

calculate the exact sun declination at your latitude each day so that you can properly orient your hives each morning before sunrise and maximize your bees workday.
Why not just do what Finski does and save all this math of hive turning.  He sticks a heater in his hives in the spring to give them an early (warm) start.  Put a timer on the heater if you like.

it gives the bees a false reading on the outside temp.
Some of my super insulated hives are 70F or more.  We are still covered in snow in Michigan.  My bees are bright enough not to fly in 25F weather.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »
Funny you should ask.  It is customary to position hives so that they face south, east, or southeast. 

However, where I live the prevailing winds come out of the south, so I turned the hives to face east, the morning sun, and then noticed that the bees flight path was such that it was from the south and the bees had to make a 90 degree turn to enter the hive, I lost 2 hives to absconding.  I then faced the bee hives facing south, into the wind, and let the bees fly straight into the hives.  I haven't had one abscond since.

So my answer to you is place it whichever way the bees like it best for your location, even if it's north.  Watch the bee's flight path and point the entrance towards the direction they predominately return to the apiary from.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 11:11:19 pm »
I have noticed that the hive that get the most sun light morning and in the evening are most active an stronger.

Also that the placement in the terrain is probably as important.

Hives at the bottom of a hill or dip in the terrain take longer to get started in the morning as the cool air flows to the lowest point.and the ground damp , morning mist , dew take longer to dissipate in the low lying areas.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:27 am »
Thanks everyone for the info and advice!  I just started beekeeping last year with two hives.  They are on the top edge of a wooded ravine, facing South.  There were so many differences between the hives, and they are only 15 ft apart!  I have an additional hive to set out this year, and I wanted to put it closer to my house for observation.  I just wanted to make sure I was pointing it in the right direction, thanks!

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 10:20:23 am »
  I just wanted to make sure I was pointing it in the right direction, thanks!

Don't point it where you and family walk or a door entrance :shock:

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 11:03:09 am »
Thanks everyone for the info and advice!  I just started beekeeping last year with two hives.  They are on the top edge of a wooded ravine, facing South.  There were so many differences between the hives, and they are only 15 ft apart!  I have an additional hive to set out this year, and I wanted to put it closer to my house for observation.  I just wanted to make sure I was pointing it in the right direction, thanks!
Your hives are 15 feet apart?  That's room for enough for 3-4 more between them.  Mine are 'slightly' turned away from each other so no two colonies are facing 'exactly' in the same direction other than generally facing south/southeast.  They all get first light and all day sun (when its out), summer and winter. 

ALL colonies are different, just like people ;)

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:04 am »
All of mine face south, with about a foot of space between them.  They could be closer, but I like having a little space around them.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 11:49:49 am »
Keith Fielder - a well-respected Master Beekeeper and field agent in Georgia - says all of us place our hives too close together and that ideally they would be like bees in trees - one hive far, far away from the next.

FWIW. 

I face mine toward the rising sun.  My hive at Blue Heron which is in unencumbered space compared to the two who died faces into the rising sun and clusters in the part of the hive where the sun hits first during the winter.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 10:47:31 pm »
Your hives are 15 feet apart?  That's room for enough for 3-4 more between them.  Mine are 'slightly' turned away from each other so no two colonies are facing 'exactly' in the same direction other than generally facing south/southeast.  They all get first light and all day sun (when its out), summer and winter. 

ALL colonies are different, just like people ;)

thomas

I like to set my hives far enough apart so that I can walk all the way around them, just personal preference, but you'd be surprised how many timesyou want or need to go to the other side for some reason.  Especially when you're teaching a newbee, they need room to get in close and personal while you manipulate the hive while explaining what you're doing and answering questions.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 09:31:27 pm »
I do keep my hives spaced apart on purpose.  I am not pressed for space, I appreciate the extra room to move around, and its easier to keep the weeds and grass down.  Not to mention, one hive is a little more tempermental than the other!  I always work that one last, but sometimes they get a little peeved even when I am working their neighbors!  I would not like them to be only a foot away..... but that's probably just the clumsy newbie in me! :-D 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2023, 04:01:38 pm »
I'm with iddee and Michael Bush on this one. South....
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2023, 01:17:58 am »
I just thought of something. If I was in Australia would it instead be North?   :grin:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2023, 01:25:11 am »
Yes, that?s correct Phillip. Anywhere from north through to east. We also drive on the other side of the road just to upset you guys on the top end of the world.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2023, 06:11:03 am »
 :grin:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2023, 06:17:12 am »
>I just thought of something. If I was in Australia would it instead be North? 

Yes.  Way back in history the Romans paid the Phoenicians to sail around the horn of Africa, which they did.  When they returned they reported to the Romans that there was a point where the sun started being in the North all day instead of the South.  When hearing this, the Romans knew they were lying and refused to pay them.
-------------------

anything