Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Explain Pollen Traps?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Explain Pollen Traps?
« on: July 14, 2013, 10:26:36 pm »
I would like to have pollen traps explained to me. I see what I think is pollen around the entrance and under the hive but I'm not sure. I read about it being used in patties to feed during the winter, wouldn't it take forever to collect for one patty? What about the possibility of feeding them diseases from the rubbish that's chunked outside the hive?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Explain Pollen Traps?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:27:28 am »
i used to run them this time of year in the auburn area.  one trap can produce an ounce in a couple of days if you leave the bees a second entrance more if you don't.  we didn't feed pollen, we sold it to a health food store.  in central alabama bees should be bringing in pollen all the way though the end of september.  they will start bringing it in as early as late january/early february.  if you look through your brood chambers you should be seeing almost solid frames of pollen with honey rings toward the outside of the box right now.  if you decide to trap some pollen you can throw it in a zip lock bag and freeze it.  it actually tastes pretty good but it has a grainy texture.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:40:16 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 02:09:59 pm »
simplest explanation is that the bees pass through a tight entrance and the pollen is knocked from the basket and lands in a collection tray.
we ran metal traps.  you would close the entrance and offset the upper brood box then the bees would pass through the trap to get in.  after a few days we would slide the trap out a little so that new foragers would enter without using it but the workers that had oriented to it still passed through. 
i haven't seen any of those traps advertised in the last several years but i haven't really looked for them.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:48:25 pm »
The most popular trap on the market now is a Sundance and they aint cheap. I have one in the shed been there 4 yrs. Just don't know how to prepare the pollen for sale after gathering

framer= how did you prepare the pollen for market and how did you package it for sale. How did you clean? Did you just freeze- how on a cookie sheet? How did you store at market etc. Seems to be hard to find info on preparation of pollen etc.
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »
Thanks yall,

I had done some reading on them and had a vague idea about what they were about. I was surprised to find that it is actually gathered and sold.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything