Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NY, Oct.. Have a Queen, lots of honey, no brood should I panic??????  (Read 2170 times)

Offline jghpe1

• Brood
1st timer here & bee keeping.... thank you all in advance for any insight.
Re-queened 2 months ago, after finding the package queen was gone.  Neglected the hive till today.
Today, we found lots of capped honey, some uncapped, & NO brood [well maybe 15 cells in a 2 brood box 10 frame hive].
Should I panic???

What should I do???

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: NY, Oct.. Have a Queen, lots of honey, no brood should I panic??????
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:04:45 pm »
JG, if you have a queen and good stores and lots of bees, I would not panic.  You did not mention wether you have lots of bees and this is important.  Although not much you can do this time of year in your area.

In your area, cold is coming soon and the bees will cluster all winter.  Then in the spring you can sort out problems.  I hope you dealt with varroa mites.

Hope this helps.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline jghpe1

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:47:05 pm »
van Thank you .... Wont panic. 
Lots of bees?  .... not sure. I can offer, we found a good amount on almost 8~9 frames on both brood boxes ..... my wife says "Yes, there were a lot".
After re-queening late this summer, we figured we'd try letting nature run it's course. 
We opened the hive [two 10 frame brood boxes w/ a syrup feeder on top] to do a varroa mite test, look for the queen & check the status.
Found bees on almost every frame in both boxes. 
Top box
Removed & inspected ... maybe 6 of the 10 frames.  Figured the brood were below, so I pulled off the top box & it weighed +50#, closer to 60# [just checked w/ two 25# barbells].  I'm guessing +/-90% capped honey, in the upper box.
Bottom Box
I found the marked queen today near the middle of the bottom box ... love florescent green.  Found just a few scattered brood on 1 or 2 frame(s) near the middle ... started to panic, decided we should "close 'er up" ... because things "looked" wrong (so few brood).
There were cells w/ uncapped honey & some pollen [wish I'd videoed w/ my phone to review ... next time].

We just tested 1/2 cup from the bottom box for mites & found 12+ from a 1/2 cup of bees ... ugh!  Now on to learn about treatment.
Again Thank you for the input, much appreciated.  Good health.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:57:12 pm »
van Thank you .... Wont panic. 
Lots of bees?  .... not sure. I can offer, we found a good amount on almost 8~9 frames on both brood boxes ..... my wife says "Yes, there were a lot".
After re-queening late this summer, we figured we'd try letting nature run it's course. 
We opened the hive [two 10 frame brood boxes w/ a syrup feeder on top] to do a varroa mite test, look for the queen & check the status.
Found bees on almost every frame in both boxes. 
Top box
Removed & inspected ... maybe 6 of the 10 frames.  Figured the brood were below, so I pulled off the top box & it weighed +50#, closer to 60# [just checked w/ two 25# barbells].  I'm guessing +/-90% capped honey, in the upper box.
Bottom Box
I found the marked queen today near the middle of the bottom box ... love florescent green.  Found just a few scattered brood on 1 or 2 frame(s) near the middle ... started to panic, decided we should "close 'er up" ... because things "looked" wrong (so few brood).
There were cells w/ uncapped honey & some pollen [wish I'd videoed w/ my phone to review ... next time].

We just tested 1/2 cup from the bottom box for mites & found 12+ from a 1/2 cup of bees ... ugh!  Now on to learn about treatment.
Again Thank you for the input, much appreciated.  Good health.

Sounds right down the middle, perfect, to me.  They have set themselves ready for winter.  Wrap/insulate and forget about them until April.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 09:46:56 pm »
HP, why no mention of treatment for mites?  Very little capped brood, perfect for OAV.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 06:46:18 am »
Can someone post or link  the correct treatment for mites?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 08:30:27 am »
Can someone post or link  the correct treatment for mites?
Depends on the beekeeper...
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 12:35:11 pm »
HP, why no mention of treatment for mites?  Very little capped brood, perfect for OAV.
Blessings

When my hive went suddenly bloodless 2 weeks ago I first did a Powder sugar dusting of the hive and found 12 mites in the sticky board. Then my friend offered to do a OAV treatment with his vaporizer (I don?t have one) which we did a couple of days later and we only got a few more. I took that as an indication that the powder sugar dusting is pretty effective if there is little capped brood.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 09:25:55 pm »
What ever works on mites is good with me, powder sugar, yes.  Just personal preference I use OAV with provap 110V.

Thanks for the assurance of powder sugar.  Would like to know how much powder sugar used per deep?
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 09:24:34 am »
I took that as an indication that the powder sugar dusting is pretty effective if there is little capped brood.

I would take it as a healthy strain of bees that doesn't need to be doused with anything.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 01:10:24 pm »
I used one cup for 2 deep. I also read a cup per deep.

I agree that this hive has been particularly good. Barely seen a mite on the sticky board all season. But if the powdered sugar didn?t work, then the OAV would have had more mites on the board I reckon.

Anyway I ended up doing both so it should be fine

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 03:23:42 pm »
>I took that as an indication that the powder sugar dusting is pretty effective if there is little capped brood.

Anything is more effective when there is no capped brood:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesvarroatreatments.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin