Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So I got some girls building vertical comb  (Read 1139 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
So I got some girls building vertical comb
« on: October 05, 2019, 01:24:37 pm »
This is a 2 month old cut out. 1BB and lid only.
There?s a 6?x3? patty of pollen to the right of this vertical comb. It?s neat watching them devour it.
Any suggestions ? I?m in south Florida - this is a 2 month old cutout. Should I super?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:37:12 pm by saltybluegrass »
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: So I got some girls building vertical comb
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 08:32:58 pm »

Salty, do you use an inner cover?  As in the pic, 10 frame and 5 frame in the pic.
 The inner cover prevents the bees from waxing the frames to the lid.  This leaves the bees very little room to build vertical wax as in your pic.  Fits rite under the lid.

Van
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:44:27 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:01:22 pm »
Salty, should I Super?

Salty, I see 6-7 frames of bees, which I equate to 60-70% hive capacity.  Don?t know if you smoked the bees down into the frames.  So hive capacity looks good and does not indicate you need supers.  However I cannot 1.  see if the frames are full of brood or honey and I don?t know if 2.  you have a flow on.

Full frames and a flow rate are important factors one needs to accurately say wether or not you need to super.  Capacity of bees looks good as already stated, but frame, [queen laying space] and flow need to be addressed.

Jim sawdust, FlGardener, BEEBOY can advise you better than I regarding the flow in your area.  I can say if the queen has no place to lay then put supers on with Jim?s blessing.  I would feel better if a local chimed in; that is why I say WITH JIM?s BLESSINGS.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 12:55:08 am »
Yeah I?m not going to do full insp til next week. So I?ll see.
That?s a plastic hive and won?t fit those inner covers but do make a feeder that narrows it down.
Either way, I?m excited to have them looking healthy.
I jumped the gun last time so I need to relax and watch.
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 10:44:04 am »
I opened this cutout hive yesterday to find 8 inches more comb above frames. I added a super .
I looked in today and it has activity on 6-8 frames - guess we were in a flow 
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 04:05:09 pm »
You are in a flow!!!!  I am sitting in 46F at this moment with a low of 34F tonight.  Enjoy your warm weather, your flow, Salty, enjoy.  It?s gonna be a while for me and the Northern Beeks before we see flowers.  Such as life, no complaints here.
Van

anything