Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lesgold?s Road Trip  (Read 16592 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Lesgold?s Road Trip
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2023, 03:54:53 am »
This morning we drove though a small town called Halls Creek. It was the first place in Western Australia that gold was found. We had a look at the China Wall which is a natural vertical wall of quartz that runs for quite a few kilometres. When looking at it, the name of this feature is obvious.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2023, 06:59:22 pm »
We are getting close to the top corner of Australia. Yesterday was quite hot at 35C with an overnight minimum of 21C. Pretty crazy temps for the middle of winter. We have also started to move towards the east slightly. Here is the sunrise at 5:40am.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2023, 09:22:49 pm »
I can't believe how much you guys are doing on this one trip, Les!  Did you plan every stop in advance?  Or are you just finding all these cool places as you roll along?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2023, 10:57:36 pm »
Hi Reagan

My wife does a bit of research while I drive so really, most of the trip is unplanned. Don?t know where we will be next week and really, I don?t care. We have barely scratched the surface on this trip. There is so much to see but our time is limited. Within a week we will leave Wester Australia and head to the Northern Territory on our way towards home.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2023, 11:18:12 pm »
Awesome to be able to get out like that Les. Good on you guys!
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2023, 01:40:12 am »
Great pictures Les!!!!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2023, 03:51:11 am »
Thanks Occam and Phillip. The scenery here is mind blowing. Pictures just don?t do it justice. Will post some more from todays trip later this evening.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2023, 07:26:18 pm »
We headed towards Kununurra to visit Emma Gorge which is famous for its beautiful red cliffs and a stunning waterfall. The walk started with an open valley that was covered in savannah type vegetation. As we progressed the vegetation began to change and the rocks became larger, producing interesting water features.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2023, 07:35:34 pm »
Towards the end of the walk we made it to a pool that had crystal clear water. By this stage we were hot and considered a swim but decided to continue up over some rugged terrain to the end point. The falls were incredible. Water tumbled 65 metres into a large pool below. We enjoyed a well earned swim before attempting the walk out. It was a special place that was visually striking. As you can see from the last photo, the gorge had narrowed considerably by the time we made it to the end.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2023, 07:47:48 pm »
We are staying in the town of Kununurra for about 3 days before moving into the Northern Territory. Yesterday morning was spent exploring Mirima National Park looking at the sandstone features of that area. The soft stone of the cliffs would normally erode quickly but a black algae growing on the surface of the stone protects it from the elements.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2023, 07:51:27 pm »
In the afternoon we went for a swim at a local waterfall. A pretty place with crystal clear water. It?s amazing how some of the trees are able to grow on rock faces into pure stone.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2023, 10:17:54 pm »
In the afternoon we went for a swim at a local waterfall. A pretty place with crystal clear water. It?s amazing how some of the trees are able to grow on rock faces into pure stone.

Nice place. Do y'all run across snakes in locations such as this?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2023, 10:23:27 pm »
We are staying in the town of Kununurra for about 3 days before moving into the Northern Territory. Yesterday morning was spent exploring Mirima National Park looking at the sandstone features of that area. The soft stone of the cliffs would normally erode quickly but a black algae growing on the surface of the stone protects it from the elements.

Each picture looks like a postcard!

Thanks Les,
Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2023, 07:18:13 pm »
Hi Phillip

I?ve only seen one snake since leaving home which is a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to see a few as there are some different species up here that we don?t get on the east coast. If I spot any, I will see if I get a picture or two to post.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2023, 01:34:59 am »
Thanks Les I would like that..

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2023, 12:08:59 am »
Our last trip in Wester Australia was to the Argyle Dam which was built in the late 1960?s to store water for irrigation. It?s quite a large puddle being about 70km long by about 40km wide. Considering it?s size, the dam wall is relatively small being only 100m long. We had a sunset cruise on the lake and enjoyed the late afternoon sun with a beer. Feeding the archer fish was a highlight and spotting a few crocs really topped off a good day out. We have just arrived in Katherine and will stay here for about 4 days before heading south.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2023, 10:23:37 am »
spotting a few crocs really topped off a good day out.
My Patrick face is back.  How big was that croc?  I was just swimming in a local reservoir yesterday (we have a ton of them in my area), but thankfully no crocs around here!  :shocked: :oops: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2023, 07:33:12 pm »
Hi Reagan,

That was a fresh water croc. They don?t grow all that big. The one in the pic was about 2.5m. The saltwater variety can get much bigger.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2023, 08:51:05 pm »
Hi Reagan,

That was a fresh water croc. They don?t grow all that big. The one in the pic was about 2.5m. The saltwater variety can get much bigger.
Uh-huh, because an 8 foot long croc isn't THAT big.  :shocked:  :wink:  https://tenor.com/XVl4.gif 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:04:37 pm by The15thMember »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2023, 09:44:49 pm »
Reagan,
Do you have alligators or crocodiles? As far as I know we only have crocodiles in the Everglades. Not sure about the Swamps in Louisiana but I never hear anyone talking about them being there.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything