Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Branding Iron questions  (Read 2264 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Branding Iron questions
« on: January 13, 2020, 01:37:38 am »
I'm considering branding my hives. Here's my question(s): does anyone know how many brands you can get out of an electric iron before it needs to heat back up? (Cycle time)

.. and how long does it take to heat back up? (Cycle time again)

Any recommendations and/or thoughts?

I've been considering this company https://www.gearheartindustry.com/electric-custom-branding-iron/

Are there better choices?

How long do they last?

I'm looking to brand 50 to 200 boxes as well as the frames (for now). I'll probably need 2 irons, 1 small one for the frames, and a larger one for the boxes, covers, bottom boards, etc. I'm definitely looking for the highest "through-put" option, so price is not my primary concern. Input would be appreciated.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Branding Iron questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 04:01:53 am »
You might consider this method Alan.

https://youtu.be/5u3X41UhTfQ
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:16:28 am »
Here in the west of Aus it?s mandatory to brand our hives, is this not the case over there?
We are allocated our brand identifier when we register hives with the agricultural department as they are considered livestock.
Do you guys make up your brand identifiers? How does It work?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:05:40 pm »
Here in the west of Aus it?s mandatory to brand our hives, is this not the case over there?
We are allocated our brand identifier when we register hives with the agricultural department as they are considered livestock.
Do you guys make up your brand identifiers? How does It work?

Skeggley, I'm not aware of a branding requirement - where I live anyways. Apparently Florida has such a requirement for commercial beeks. ... but, it's not as if I know all that much on the topic ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 12:15:42 pm »
Phillip - I like that method. It makes a lot more sense. When I look at a hand-held branding iron, my questions are "how long does it take to heat up? & How many brands can you do before you have to wait for it to get back up to temp?" ... I can't stand waiting on equipment - drives me nuts. When I want to get something done, I want it done as fast as possible so that I can go back to relaxing, ... or doing other work, as the case may be.  :cheesy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »
I have 2 hive/frame branding irons. How fast they heat up and how many frames you can do without waiting for them to heat up depends on the wattage of the iron. Both of my electric ones are 40 watts. I think I can do 3 or four frames in a row and then I have to wait a few minutes.
The problem with buying a branding iron is that they are permanent. The first one that I used was for my wood craft projects.  The second one had my registration number. Then Florida changed the registration number system and now I need a new one.
If you buy one make sure the numbers are the right size.  My wife bought the second one as a gift and it was too small. Shhh. I never told her that. 🤭
The one in the video is probably a 100 or more watt unit and you probably cannot use it fast enough to cool it down.
You can also buy large ones that you hold in a propane burner frame, and you press it on the box.

Florida requires hive boxes to be marked but Branding is not required. You can use a felt pen and write it on.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 03:33:32 pm »
.... I think I can do 3 or four frames in a row and then I have to wait a few minutes.

Wow - that's way too slow! Thank you for sharing this info Jim. Guess I'll head back to the drawing board - maybe Phillip's video has the answer - I'll have to make my out setup with a torch.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:47:39 pm »
Jim I am thinking the one in the video is either propane or natural gas. If you enlarge the video you can see the blue flame roaring up. This setup is meant for business for sure.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything