Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Good Ole Days Of Beekeeping May Be On the Way Back !!!!!!!!  (Read 4243 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
The Good Ole Days Of Beekeeping May Be On the Way Back !!!!!!!!
« on: October 07, 2019, 11:18:25 pm »
Has anyone seen this type of SHB control before this video ?  Looks promising!!!! Lets hope!!!

https://youtu.be/kFwYNqjdUIg
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: The Good Ole Days Of Beekeeping May Be On the Way Back !!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:11:45 am »
And just consider the spin off benefit of this aiding in the control of our other major pest, Varroa Destructor! All we have to do is insert a pvc plug in the fitting, making a perfect fit just prior to OA treatment and NO wasted vapors making a full and more effective treatment!
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:56:52 am »
I believe that would work. What about during summer though. When they are trying to fan the entrance? 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:56:46 am »
I believe that would work. What about during summer though. When they are trying to fan the entrance?

All you would have to do is put in some vent holes such is Don the fat bee man does, simply cover these vent house with window screen. SHB cannot enter that way.  It might even be profitable instead of closing off the bottom entrances completely, to simply place window screening there for the whole entrance once the bees are used to going out of the portal, that should work fine? And remember, if Beatles cannot enter the hive,  we can Turn back To the old practice placing our hives in the shade? Where would we rather work our hives, in a good cool shady spot or the hot sun?  :-)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 12:45:18 pm »
And I just got my screened bottom boards working right this year. LOL

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 12:57:54 pm »
I was wondering if the window screen would work. I actually got some on my reducers right now. Covering up the hole for the boardman feeder.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:21:48 pm »
I have one of these, because of issues last year, but this year didn't have enough problems to try it out.  But it looks the best I've seen...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egLroAZ_Qn0&pbjreload=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgOQzOaWGR4
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 02:37:05 pm »
I?m going with nematodes - btw- if my hive is over patio stone, does that help with SHB?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 05:34:06 pm »
Yes Mr Bush these look very promising! If all three work as shown and all three do the job as required I would be happy and honored to promote each myself!!  There is also another product out there called The Guardian. I would and hope to acquire three of each of these for comparison perhaps being ready to put in place next spring! I am sick of these pest!  Thank you for posting!    :grin:
Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 05:35:31 pm »
And I just got my screened bottom boards working right this year. LOL
:wink:

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 05:49:05 pm »
Yes Mr Bush these look very promising! If all three work as shown and all three do the job as required I would be happy and honored to promote each myself!!  There is also another product out there called The Guardian. I would and hope to acquire three of each of these for comparison perhaps being ready to put in place next spring! I am sick of these pest!  Thank you for posting!    :grin:
Phillip
I like the idea behind the guardian.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 06:42:35 pm »
Phil, I like the idea of the pvc pipe.  Totally cool and simple!!!  You da Man!!!!  However my bees like to beard in summer and just hang out on the entrance.  My concern is how the bees will adjust, what about washboarding?  May be my concerns are in vain I just don?t know??  Thoughts anyone???

Also ventilation in my very humid environment is a concern in early summer as I like my honey in the 16-17 percent moisture range.  If my entrance is not full open, I get 18% honey which is OK but I prefer the lower moisture content which makes for thick honey, a favorite of mine.  Just personal preference.  I am guessing upper and lower openings might accomplish more air flow resulting in lower moisture in my honey, if I were to try the pvc pipe method of beetle control.  Or an upper vent, which is already on most of my hives, then add PVC pipe on bottom or top which is another factor.

Top or bottom entrance is another question which is addressed on M. Bush web pages as well as others.

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 06:58:13 pm »
Phil, I like the idea of the pvc pipe.  Totally cool and simple!!!  You da Man!!!!  However my bees like to beard in summer and just hang out on the entrance.  My concern is how the bees will adjust, what about washboarding?  May be my concerns are in vain I just don?t know??  Thoughts anyone???

Also ventilation in my very humid environment is a concern in early summer as I like my honey in the 16-17 percent moisture range.  If my entrance is not full open, I get 18% honey which is OK but I prefer the lower moisture content which makes for thick honey, a favorite of mine.  Just personal preference.  I am guessing upper and lower openings might accomplish more air flow resulting in lower moisture in my honey, if I were to try the pvc pipe method of beetle control.  Or an upper vent, which is already on most of my hives, then add PVC pipe on bottom or top which is another factor.

Top or bottom entrance is another question which is addressed on M. Bush web pages as well as others.

Blessings
Van

Thank you Mr Van, Very good questions.. I have thought about these myself. I have yet to ask Woolley and he may have definite answers but I am thinking that they should  still be able to beard, if we screen the original bottom entrance after being closed a few days the bees should have been trained to exit and enter the pvc tubing? Thus allowing the same venting that we are accustomed to? And we can always add vent holes to our upper boxes similar to what Don The Fat Beeman does, adding window screening to keep beetles out. This is just a guess.... we will see. Later when I get settled in for the evening I will relay theses questions to Woolley. Thank you Mr Van.
Phillip

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 08:25:16 pm »
This idea started the old woreout brain to start working again.  I have been working on a way to get the bees to come up through the bottom of the DSBB. I did not like any idea I came up with  I am going to modify a DSBB, actually a new board, and close off the entrance and use this Idea for weak hives only.  I have NO bearding with DSBB and top screen with cloth cover and shavings but this week I found a strong hive that propolized the top screen.  By using the DSBB no holes will have to be bored in a hive box.  This will not change the DSBB except for a small vestibule, which will still allow the oil pan to be used if needed.  I like the idea of killing SHB

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 10:32:09 pm »
This idea started the old woreout brain to start working again.  I have been working on a way to get the bees to come up through the bottom of the DSBB. I did not like any idea I came up with  I am going to modify a DSBB, actually a new board, and close off the entrance and use this Idea for weak hives only.  I have NO bearding with DSBB and top screen with cloth cover and shavings but this week I found a strong hive that propolized the top screen.  By using the DSBB no holes will have to be bored in a hive box.  This will not change the DSBB except for a small vestibule, which will still allow the oil pan to be used if needed.  I like the idea of killing SHB

Sounds good Paus. Maybe you can post some pictures here when you get it all together?
Thanks, Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 11:58:02 pm »

Blessings
Van

Thank you Mr Van, Very good questions.. I have thought about these myself. I have yet to ask Woolley and he may have definite answers but I am thinking that they should  still be able to beard, if we screen the original bottom entrance after being closed a few days the bees should have been trained to exit and enter the pvc tubing? Thus allowing the same venting that we are accustomed to? And we can always add vent holes to our upper boxes similar to what Don The Fat Beeman does, adding window screening to keep beetles out. This is just a guess.... we will see. Later when I get settled in for the evening I will relay theses questions to Woolley. Thank you Mr Van.
Phillip

Mr Van, I did ask Woolley the questions but before he could answer I found the following video which explains the bearding and the need for ventilation.  And the PVC portal is mentioned.  I will post this below.

https://youtu.be/zvkYA7Ac4H4
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:47:05 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 08:15:58 am »
>if my hive is over patio stone, does that help with SHB?

It doesn't hurt.  But they will crawl 30 or 40 feet to get to soil and they can fly for miles to find a bee colony.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 05:49:21 pm »

Blessings
Van

Phillip

Mr Van, I did ask Woolley the questions but before he could answer I found the following video which explains the bearding and the need for ventilation.  And the PVC portal is mentioned.  I will post this below.

https://youtu.be/zvkYA7Ac4H4

Ok, thank you Phil or Mr. BenFramed to the new beeks.  The video pointed out a major weakness of the small hive beetle which is the beetles cannot Hoover.  I agree:  beetles are sloppy fliers compared to the much more graceful flying honey bees.  So here is my plan for next year:

To place the PVC pipe, 45^  on hives with with separate screened air vent.  Furthermore, one, maybe two hive?s will have the guardian type beetle trap entrance.

Thanks again Phil for taking your time to search YouTube, then post on this forum your findings.  In my area, small hive beetles are such a serious threat.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 08:54:46 pm »
I have one of these, because of issues last year, but this year didn't have enough problems to try it out.  But it looks the best I've seen...

M. Bush, I purchased two of the entrance devices for beetle entrapment.  Thank you for the video.
Blessings

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 10:18:51 pm »

M. Bush, I purchased two of the entrance devices for beetle entrapment.  Thank you for the video.
Blessings

Mr Van, I am happy to see that you ordered one of the beetle trap designs  as shown here by Mr Bush. Is this something that you have ordered since the posting of this product here?  The reason that I ask is I am very anxious to hear of your results! Being I am slightly south and east of you, beetles are sometimes a handful here also. Please update us on your progress. I look forward to the day that I can scrap the oil pan set up even though it is very effective. I am anxiously awaiting your findings. Thank you for posting of your investment in this product.
Phillip

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 11:11:41 pm »
Phil, I purchased this day based on info on this thread.  Probably will not install until next year unless I see beetles flying inwhich I would instal promptly.  I will keep Beemaster posted.
Van

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 12:40:05 am »
Phil, I purchased this day based on info on this thread.  Probably will not install until next year unless I see beetles flying inwhich I would instal promptly.  I will keep Beemaster posted.
Van

👍🏻  Thank you Sir!!