Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Native bees in hives  (Read 1266 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Native bees in hives
« on: October 04, 2019, 02:26:08 pm »
Here is an interesting question that was posed to me yesterday. Any knowledge, observations, research on this would be helpful.
Here is the Q posed:
Can and do small native solitary bees such as miners, masons, carpenter, leaf cutters, etc sometimes find temporary refuge in honey bee hives when weather turns challenging
The question comes from observation by the beekeeper of different coloured bees showing up in her the hives in the fall. The bees also look a bit different, not just colour. The honey bees seem ok with them, showing no aggression or much attention towards them.  They seem to be paid little attention much like when the drones are hopping hive to hive on a sunny day.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:25:26 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Re: Native bees in hives
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 05:46:17 pm »
It would be nice if everyone were received and treated this way. Open door policy as it were
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 06:56:31 pm »
Salty, what a beautiful thought, I should learn from you.

HP, yesterday, 10/6/19 I watched a bumble bee try to enter a bee hive.  The bumblebee was wrestled off the entrance and took off.

As you are aware, Hornets, yellow jackets, the carnivores type bees/wasp are killed if they mess with my hives.  However, to my knowledge bumblebees are nectar gathering and not a threat such as the carnivores but there was no time wasted by my honeybees attacking the sole bumblebee.

About one week ago, I did notice a small, I mean tiny, shiny green bee on a frame in my hive.  Not a mason bee, I am looking at a bee 1/4 the size of the worker honey bee and a very slim bee for it body length.  There is a possibility the green bee flies unnoticed on the frame I was inspecting and was not actually in the hive.

In Arkansas there must be 20 different species of bees or wasp I have noticed on my property including the dreaded European Hornet.  Wait till you see one of those hornets up close and personal.  Bee suit no protection from the European hornet.

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 07:52:42 pm »
I?ve watched them drag bumble bees out.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:00:23 am »
Generally I find dead bumble bees in the hives every fall and spring.  But I have also seen a leaf cutter bee in my observation hive being umolested... not often though.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 12:34:46 pm »
Mason bees and leaf cutter bees have made their nests in holes, laid their eggs, sealed them up and gone to die long before autumn.  the new generation won't emerge until next spring for masons, and summer for leaf cutters.  You likely won't find them in HB hives.
I'm not familiar with the reproductive process of carpenter or miner bees, but I do know the HBs get mighty defensive when it comes to other competitive species that might try to get into their stores.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 09:17:28 pm »
Good to know Hops.  You always have good post: short to the point, and factual.  Thank you Sir.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

anything