Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wow what a year  (Read 1189 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Wow what a year
« on: October 02, 2019, 01:11:16 pm »
So I learned so much from you all and my experiences.
I lost 3 hives out of original 2 purchased and 1 cutout to beetles and moths.
I?ve adjusted my beetle protections and know what an inspection should be like.
I grew a box or 2 into honey supers - made 40$ and a lot of free honey friends that now want to be in a list to purchase.
What is it about natural honey that?s better than store bought as that?s what they all say?
So I am gonna manage these 4 hives through winter but in South Florida they say the queen will be slow one day but not the next week etc.
Question- do I add a box if the brood and frames are full or try to keep in one BB?

I?m claiming I have an apiary because I have 4 fruitful hives after all the crashes.
Or a Jay-piary since my name
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Wow what a year
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 11:18:42 pm »
>What is it about natural honey that?s better than store bought as that?s what they all say?

The difference between local honey and store bought is like the difference between a fresh tomato picked from your garden and one packaged in plastic in the grocery store.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:10:50 am »
Most of the time one is real and the other is fake. Look at the ingredients in a lot of the store bought honey. Honey is often the last ingredient after HFCS, and sugar. Store bought honey is also cooked at 130 to 160 degrees F.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »
Happy to see you, and by extension your bees, are getting positive results out of your time spent at Beemaster.  Awesome!

Local honey tastes better because it is pure, raw, unprocessed, unadulterated.  There is one crutial ingredient found in higher concentration in local honey that makes it so much better. The aromatics. The floral scents. The smell. The essence of the flowers are locked in to honey that is minimally handled and bottled/sealed without much exposure to the air.   Commercial packing operations can have large tanks, vats, heaters, stirrers, etc .... each step in the process may either alter/destroy the aromatics or simply releases them to atmosphere. The packaged honey on the grocery isle is faded or lacking. Without sufficient or unique aromas, all honey is really nothing more than a syrup blend of complex sugars.
Open a container of store honey side by side to a container of your honey.  Which one has more smell and is more pleasing.   Really, consumer impression of which is better tends to be just as simple as that.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 07:42:18 pm »
Salty, you are the Man.  I have enjoyed: your bare feet in the videos, your song to the bees was enjoyable, touching to my heart it was, video of your first state bee inspection, you kept us tuned in.   So it has been fun having you on Beemaster even though I am just a member as yourself so my thanks are from a personal level as I can?t speak for BeeMaster.

Soon winter will be here,  as a lot changes for the bees but BeeMaster keeps things warmed up.
Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 07:44:02 pm »
Those are some nice words Van.
I know Im wreckless at times but enjoy this board.
I just talked to a local apiary says we don?t winterize down this far south - west palm beach-
Look at these litter bugs leaving pollen paper strewn on the porch
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 11:17:32 pm »
I?ve enjoyed as well.