Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jar size and label?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Jar size and label?
« on: September 30, 2019, 07:32:01 pm »
I need to order some jars. What sizes do most people like?  Also I?m assuming certain things have to be on your label. What are those?  Does each state have its own laws?  If your giving away does it still need labels. Thanks
Chris

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Jar size and label?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:10 pm »
I use 1 lb squeeze bottles, pint, and quart mason jars.  I have found that those 3 sizes seem to cover the sizes that most people want. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:42:12 am »
Also one that is  3.4 ounce (100ml) so they can take it on an airplane is nice for visiting tourists.  I would lable it by wt. (because of the labeling law) and by volume (for the TSA agents who don't understand the difference between the two).  I like some fancy jars like the Muth and for the bargin hunters, let them bring their own jar and fill it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:20:10 am »
Are you selling it?  I chose to use 1/2 lb and one pound and a quart mason jar.  Once you get established you won't need as many 1/2 lb jars.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 10:32:07 am »
I?ll probably give majority away the first time. But will try to sell some. Thanks for suggestions.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 04:20:23 pm »
I sell more 1 lb. bottles than any other.  I do make up 1/2 and 2 lb. ones that do sell well, but the one pounders always out sell them.

Also much as I hate plastic, the squeeze bottles vastly outsell the glass jars...convenience and all...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 05:07:32 pm »
I think one of the things that puts people off of honey is that it is complicated to eat.  A dispenser helps.  You can also sell dispensers...

https://amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Baking-Dispenser-Capacity/dp/B0017KBDC6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=honey+dispenser&qid=1570046773&sr=8-2
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:55:20 pm »
I need to order some jars. What sizes do most people like?  Also I?m assuming certain things have to be on your label. What are those?  Does each state have its own laws?  If your giving away does it still need labels. Thanks
Chris
If you search this page for "label" you'll see that KY defers to the FDA guidance. https://www.kyagr.com/statevet/honeybees.html

I've decided that since my family prefers the plastic squeeze bottles with the no-drip cap (it sits cap-side-down and there's a little rubber insert in the hole to prevent drips), that's primarily what I sell.   NC requires label to have weight, and if I make all the same weight I can print it on the label. I haven't gone to only one pound bottles yet but I probably will. Each bottle costs  about  a dollar and I have to build that into the price, and I feel like if I'm selling half-pounds, they're paying for a high ratio of plastic to honey. Maybe a two-pound jar would work ok too but I think I can make more $ selling two one-pounds, or offer a "two-fer" deal and make people happy about it.

But I am a noob, I bottled <200 lbs this year.  I'll make enough $ to get some new frames and make it to BeeFest 2020 and if there's some left over I'd like to replace my smoker.

anything