Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Musings about Beekeeping with Africanized Bees  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Tomas

• New Bee
    • Musings on Beekeeping
Musings about Beekeeping with Africanized Bees
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:59:44 pm »
I have a love-hate relationship with Africanized bees. It?s what I have to work with in Honduras. Sometimes I just want to get rid of all of them and say that?s enough?no more dealing with these ornery critters. Other times I actually consider myself lucky that these are my bees. And then when the honey comes in and the money from the sales start, it makes all the stings worth the effort.

As a beekeeper in Honduras, I?ve been having this love-hate relationship with Africanized bees for the last 24 years. Some things I have figured out with these bees, but it is still a continuous learning process.

Read the complete post on my blog, ?Musings on Beekeeping?
http://musingsonbeekeeping.blogspot.com/2015/07/musings-about-beekeeping-with.html

----------
Tom
My blogs:

Musings on Beekeeping (English): http://musingsonbeekeeping.blogspot.com/
Reflexiones Sobre Apicultura (Spanish): http://reflexionessobreapicultura.blogspot.com/

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Musings about Beekeeping with Africanized Bees
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 07:18:51 am »
Living where I do African bees will not survive. But I have to say that the article confirmed my thoughts about them. The people in the African bush from where the bees came must have the same issues.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »
>Living where I do African bees will not survive.

Keep telling yourself that...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:04:01 pm »

>Living where I do African bees will not survive.

Keep telling yourself that...

Have you seen any where you live? I doubt they will make it in NY.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »
Yes.  I've seen four hives that were "Buckfasts" but were obviously part AHB survive the winter where I am.  When they became impossible to manage I requeened, of course.  But thinking they can't survive in the north is just wishful thinking.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Strummer

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:38 pm »
I'm in south Tx and them dudes are everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 06:37:13 am »
Yes.  I've seen four hives that were "Buckfasts" but were obviously part AHB survive the winter where I am.  When they became impossible to manage I requeened, of course.  But thinking they can't survive in the north is just wishful thinking.
OK... But it is not usually a problem.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 04:27:18 pm »
>OK... But it is not usually a problem.

It's not usually a problem in most AHB areas.  Most of them are quite workable.
-------------------

anything