Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: California almond pollination  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Joyspencer

• New Bee
California almond pollination
« on: April 08, 2022, 11:27:08 pm »
If there are any beekeepers from California that read this, May I ask for an update on the almond pollination season? Also, if it looks like the season is nearing last petal stage for the blooms? The reason that I ask is that some of my hives were sent there for almond pollination. I am trying to guess how much longer they will be needed there.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: California almond pollination
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 12:36:02 pm »
Not sure but if I wanted to know I would call my broker or the person I have the contract with. They should be able to give you a removal date.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 03:22:41 pm »
Not sure but if I wanted to know I would call my broker or the person I have the contract with. They should be able to give you a removal date.
I agree, this is a question your almond grower should be able to answer.  We unfortunately don't have many consistently active members from California right now, so contacting the orchard where your bees are would probably be best. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 12:40:17 am »
We are usually able to take out about 25% of our hives about a week after full bloom with all out in 5 weeks after the start.
First hives were out by 25 days from start last season
The growers usually want you out quick so they can start spraying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 11:52:13 am »
Joyspencer It seems Pollinators here in America are not as prone to sharing as much information about pollination as other type beekeepers such as hobbyist and local honey producers, has been my observance. That is another reason I enjoy reading Oldbeavos post here at Beemaster. 'Traveling Pollination' is a unique part of beekeeping in my opinion.
There is a fellow in Alabama who shares information about his experiences in pollination, namely 'California Almond Pollination'.  He has not been doing so for very long as compared to many, he seems to be excited and eager to share. You most likely already know of his videos but in case you do not, his youtube channel is brucesbees. He talks of different aspects and scenarios about his experiences.. 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 12:38:23 pm »
Brian MCquilkin
The15thMember
We unfortunately don't have many consistently active members from California right now, so contacting the orchard where your bees are would probably be best.

Agreed but where is Alan "Coolbees" when we need him?   lol   :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything